Chapter 35

Carrying a heavy tray, Meya made her way to the lord's chambers. Once there, she balanced it on a knee to free a hand to knock.

"Enter," Lord Deminas answered from the other side.

Careful to not drop anything, she opened the door, got inside, and used an elbow to push it closed.

"Ah, supper," the lord said with a devious smile.

Meya's eyes shifted to the commander seated beside him. Of course, he gets to use the second chair. The slight pang of jealousy was quickly replaced by anxiety. Where's Nina?

She rested the tray on the corner of the desk and arranged the dishes. "I hope it will be to your liking, my lord." Removing the first cover, she revealed the steaming stew.

Lord Deminas took a deep breath through his nose and smiled at the commander. "You were right—it does smell delicious."

Commander Andreas grabbed the carafe and refilled their cups. "Did you taste it?" He turned his attention to Meya.

Her eyes widened and her cheeks flushed.

He laughed and elbowed the smiling lord. "I told you she would."

Lord Deminas remained silent, but the satisfied look in his eyes said enough.

Oh gods, this is embarrassing. Meya finished setting the table, placing bowls and cutlery in front of the two men.

"Tell me, Meya..." Lord Deminas scooped some of the stew into his bowl. "Did you like it?" He passed the bowl to the commander and filled the other one.

Meya opened her mouth to speak, but her lips refused to form words.

Lord Deminas looked up at her. "Well?"

"I-I did my best, my lord." She cast her eyes down, her cheeks ablaze. "I think it tastes good."

"I can tell you improved it after I left," the commander said after having a bite.

Does that mean it's good? Or is it just less bad?

Lord Deminas brought the spoon up to his mouth and Meya bit the inside of her lip in anticipation.

What'll he say? Will he like it? She fidgeted with her apron, gaze focused on the lord's face. What'll happen if he doesn't like it?

"Well, this is something different," he said after swallowing.

Meya clutched her apron. Please just tell me already if I did well or not!

Lord Deminas looked up at Meya, his expression agonisingly neutral, and motioned for her to come closer. He scooped up some stew and held out the spoon. "I want you to taste this."

Meya paled and beads of cold sweat rolled down her back. Damn it, this can't be good. I bet he wants me to taste just how bad it is! Anxious, she closed her lips around the spoon and the lord slowly pulled it away, a smirk emerging on his face.

She carefully chewed the stew. The various fruits and vegetables mixed well with the sweet meat, while the herbs and wine provided a finishing touch.

"What do you think?" Lord Deminas' eyes gleamed mischievously.

"I... I don't know what to say, my lord."

"How does it taste?"

"I think it tastes good, my lord," she said with slight hesitation.

Lord Deminas shook his head. "I disagree."

Meya's stomach dropped. Oh no.

He turned to Commander Andreas. "What do you think?"