Chapter 38

"My lord," Meya started, gripping her dress firmly as she gathered courage, "why do you allow—"

He raised his hand to silence her. "It's not your turn for a question." He smirked.

Meya blushed. He still wants to play that game?

His eyes gleamed mischievously. "Tell me in all honesty: do you regret having killed that raider?"

The question made her heart constrict in her chest. Everything she'd been taught wanted her to answer yes, simply because killing was bad. I should have just knocked him out and ran. She closed her eyes as memories of that dreadful night filled her mind.

The man tackling her down to the ground. His fingers tight around her neck as he groped her breast. The small twigs underneath her breaking and prodding into her skin. His stinking breath as he panted in her face. The surge of adrenaline as her fingertips found a big, moss-covered rock. His grin as he started to loosen his trousers. The anger. The hate. The sensation of the rock colliding with his head. The satisfaction at seeing his eyes roll back into his skull. The second hit. The third. Being on top of him and reducing his face to a bloody pulp. And then, the victorious screams behind her of the other raiders, snapping her out of her rampage and causing her to run away from the burning inn, the gore-covered rock still clutched firmly in hand.

"Meya..."

Her eyes shot open. "No. I would happily do it again." A weight seemed to have lifted from her. Gods, it feels good to finally admit it—to say it out loud.

The lord smiled devilishly before turning around and walking away. "Let's continue this in bed. My body's tired and needs to rest."

Face red, Meya watched him drop the towel to the ground and crawl underneath the covers. I really need to stop being so damn embarrassed. She undressed and joined him. A small squeal slipped from her throat as he pulled her close, his groin against her thigh.

"Now then... Your turn," he said, his breath tickling her ear.

It took Meya a bit to gather her thoughts. "Why... do you allow Andreas to take servants like that, my lord?"

"It was part of an arrangement my father had with him, and something I agreed to uphold." His hand shifted to her breast, simply holding it whilst his thumb caressed her soft skin. "That night in the forest, did you want—no, did you try to kill the slaver too?"

Meya stiffened as she fought to keep the dark memories at bay. "If my hands hadn't been tied..." She swallowed. "If he hadn't... held a blade to my throat... If I'd had any weapon, and I would've been able to escape, I would've used it." Her jaw tightened. If I would've been able to get away, I would've bitten his face off.

"Answer me this and you can ask me two questions in return. Why didn't you kill him when I gave you the chance in the dungeons?"

She was silent for a moment. "I... I don't know. I guess I was just overwhelmed. And... And I couldn't help but feel it would've been wrong. Killing him when he was no longer a threat. But—" Her voice broke.

Lord Deminas held her tightly, his warmth and scent soothing.

She took a deep breath and whispered, "He deserved what he got." She closed her eyes as tears escaped them. "My lord... why did you bother showing me what you did to him? Back then, you said—"

"I know what I said." He nuzzled her neck. "I won't lie: I was playing with you, but I wanted you to know that I made him suffer for what he'd done."

Meya choked up. But why? Another tear slipped down her cheek. "Wha—" She swallowed. "What caused you to..." She hesitated to continue, afraid to voice the thing she so desperately wanted to be answered.