Chapter 7

"How was your day?" Juris asked during supper, attempting to coax Meya into conversation.

"Fine," Meya answered curtly.

Juris hesitated, mouth open to reply, but then sighed deeply instead. After a few bites of bread, and Meya's lack of conversation, he gently asked, "Do you want to talk about it? Is there perhaps something I can do?"

Meya shook her head and continued to eat her meal in silence. She thought back to what had happened with Lord Deminas earlier, and why he wanted to see her after supper. The image of the mangled corpse on the rocky cliffs still haunted her, reducing her appetite and increasing her anxiety. It didn't take long before her thoughts started to wander. Memories of the events at her family's inn returned to her and she tried to dismiss them, yet they were only replaced by visions of the raider who'd tried to force himself on her. She clenched her left fist under the table.

I managed to get away from him. I killed him. But the slaver...

Nausea washed over her and she gritted her teeth. Swallowing the bile that had risen in the back of her throat, she pushed the remnants of her meal into the centre of the table. Paying no attention to Juris' questioning look, she left the dining hall.

~~

Meya stood frozen in front of the door leading to Lord Deminas' private chambers. Her heart was racing, the pounding in her ears almost deafening.

I can do this.

Still, she just stood there.

Everything will be alright. You don't need to fear being punished, let alone tossed down the mountain, because you know you did well today. You did your job, and surely if you messed up, you'd be given a chance to improve.

She sighed and tapped her cheeks.

Come on, Meya, she attempted to coax herself. You've got this.

Chewing her lip, she finally took the plunge and knocked.

There was no answer.

She knocked again.

Silence.

Oh gods, where is he? Dread filled her as she imagined him having come up only shortly after she had and watching her standing in front of his door, too afraid to do anything. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she turned to look down the hallway.

Empty.

She sighed in relief. Now stop being silly. Open that door and announce yourself. If he ain't in, you wait like a good servant.

Although her body felt heavy, she managed to lift her hand to the handle and opened the door. She stepped inside cautiously and noticed that the oil lamps were burning, as was the large hearth. There was no sign, however, of the lord.

With a slight squeak, Meya announced her presence.

Unsure of what to do, she walked to the door leading to the master bedroom.

It was closed.

Meya started to sweat, her breathing heavy and her heart still thumping loudly in her throat.

Should I check? What if I don't and he is in there? Would he get upset?

Not wanting to risk it, she raised her fist. She knocked once, twice, but no answer came. With a deep breath, she opened the door and announced herself again with a squeaky voice.

The bedroom was empty, the bed in the same state she'd left it in. She eyed the last closed door with dread.

Perhaps he's still having supper and I should just return to the sitting room and wait patiently. But... what if he ain't? Should I check the bathroom?