Chapter 46

They waited near the cave entrance for Lord Deminas' return. The gutted and partially eaten corpse lay behind them, and Meya caught Nina's gaze slipping towards it several times.

After a while, Meya could no longer stand it and she hurried over, dragging it farther into the cave—out of sight. Upon her return, Nina gave her a rueful smile.

"Don't tell me you're embarrassed."

Flustered, Meya was about to run a hand through her hair before realising there was blood on it and wiping it on her already ruined skirt—it didn't help much. "I... Yeah, I am. Sorry. It's just..." She sighed and leaned against the wall next to Nina. "It's really, really weird. Not to mention wrong." Her fingers went down to her wound—it stung only slightly upon her touch.

Nina gently placed her hand on top of Meya's. "I... don't care if it's wrong." She was looking outside, the morning sky nice and blue with only a few clouds. Her grip intensified. "If it keeps you with me..."

Meya turned and pulled her into a hug. "How can you be like this? What—" Her voice broke and she swallowed. "What have I done to deserve someone like you?"

Nina held her tight. "There's nothing deserving about it. Please don't think like that." She chuckled dryly. "I'd kill for you, though I guess that's just providing you supper now."

Surprised by her jesting, Meya held her at arm's length and scrutinised her with narrowed eyes. "Just how serious are you being? Because I really am horrified by the fact that I just dragged away the remnants of my breakfast."

Nina snorted a laugh before her expression dropped. "Gods, I don't know. It all feels surreal..." She freed herself from Meya's hold and leaned back against the rock. "Am I even alive right now or—"

"If you're dead, then so am I," Meya grunted and slumped against the wall beside her. Gazing over at Nina, she smiled wryly. "An afterlife with you in it ain't all that bad, even if I have to chew on the occasional corpse to stay sane."

Nina pulled a face. "Just make sure it's a fresh one—I won't kiss you if your breath smells rotten."

With a gasp, Meya went to shove her playfully, but Nina jumped up and out of reach with a grin. "Oh," Meya started, "I'm going to—"

Lord Deminas appeared at the cave's entrance, a puzzled look on his face. "Is everything—"

Nina stifled a scream. Trembling, she backed away into Meya's arms, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Lord Deminas was silent as he observed them. Meya turned Nina around, cradling her head against her bosom, shushing her.

Slowly, the lord approached them. "I'm... sorry for startling you."

Nina didn't speak, only clutching Meya's dress tighter as she tried to regain her calm and stop her sobs.

"...Again," he added.

Meya gave Lord Deminas a small, grateful smile. Thank you, she mouthed as she stroked Nina's hair. "Did you succeed, my lord?"

He nodded, gaze fixed on Nina. "We need to get going before they move to graze in a different area."

Gently, Meya stroked Nina's hair. "We're getting out of here, alright? Can you come along?"

Nina took a deep, shuddering breath before releasing Meya. She turned around and approached the lord, eyes downcast.

Meya retrieved the silk packages of meat from a rock and stuffed them into her skirt's pockets. Their weight made her uneasy—a constant reminder of her earlier meal and those to come.