Chapter 37

As Brit pulled the blade out for the sixth time, Lord Deminas finally rose and turned. With a ferocious scream, she aimed the blade at his face, but he grabbed her wrist. There was a sickening snap, followed by silence as the rage on Brit's face drained away. She cried as the knife fell from her limp fingers and clattered to the floor.

Lord Deminas stood up, his expression beyond livid. He caught Brit's fist as she made a feeble attempt to punch him. A miserable wail escaped her lips as the lord crushed her hand.

Meya stared in horror at the two. Dark blood seeped from the multiple stab wounds in the lord's back, though it was but a mere trickle. Brit attempted to kick him, but he released her and shoved her to the floor before her knee could connect. Her head made a loud smack against the stones and her eyes rolled back into her skull.

Though her feet felt heavy, Meya took a few steps closer. The adrenaline in her system made it appear as if time moved slower, each beat of her heart a loud drum in her ears.

Lord Deminas sat down on Brit's legs, unbothered by his lack of clothing, and grabbed her tightly by the neck. Her eyes snapped open and she raised her hands in an attempt to stop him, but her right wrist was fractured as were the bones in her left hand. An agonised whimper slipped from her lips as she tried to utilise her broken limbs, but it quickly faded as the lord increased the pressure on her neck.

"It seems stupidity runs in the family," he spat, dark droplets accompanying the words that left his mouth.

Brit flailed underneath him. "It's your fault," she hissed. "My sis—"

Lord Deminas' grip on her throat tightened, preventing her from saying anything else. Her eyes widened and a lurid gurgling sound passed her lips as she gasped for air.

Horrified, Meya watched Lord Deminas rise back to his feet whilst Brit writhed on the floor, clawing at her throat. The lord towered over her, glaring as she attempted to breathe. When her thrashings weakened, he lifted his foot and stomped upon her stomach. A haggard groan slipped from Brit as she doubled up, spasmed, and finally remained still.

Is... Is she dead?

Lord Deminas grabbed Brit's long hair and dragged her out of the bedroom.

Unable to stop herself, Meya moved closer to see where he was taking her. She knew what he meant to do as she watched him open the balcony door.

As if she weighed nothing, he lifted the unmoving woman from the ground and threw her over the balustrade. He slammed the door behind him and paced back towards the bedroom. His chest heaved with each breath, a small trickle of blood running down the sides of his mouth and staining his goatee.

Terrified, Meya backed away. How was he able to do that? How's he even alive?

He walked right past her and went into the bathroom. "Get me some light in here," he grunted.

"Y-yes, my lord." Meya quickly fetched one of the candelabra and rushed after him. As she lit the lamps in the room, the lord slipped into the tepid bath. A little hesitant, she approached him, candelabrum in hand.

There were six clear puncture wounds on his back—four on the right side of his spine and two on the left. As the light illuminated his skin, Meya paled.

The blood that seeped out wasn't red but purple.

"Meya..."

A small yelp escaped from her lips at hearing her name.

"What happened just now, you're not to speak of it to anyone—not even Nina." He coughed, producing a dreadful, wet sound. "Do I make myself clear?" He turned to look at her, his grey eyes filled with remnants of his earlier fury.