Chapter 15

Flustered, Meya hurried through the halls carrying a big bundle of laundry. How could he? She huffed. That impertinent, ruttish dog! Why would he do that? Does he enjoy making me feel uncomfortable? What kind of a sadist is he? She sighed as she neared the laundry room. I hope Lea's here, perhaps I can explain it to her.

To her great relief, she spotted Lea when she walked in. She dumped the laundry on the ground next to the already existing heap and was about to go to her when she noticed Lea was coming her way instead.

"Meya, can I talk to you for a moment?"

Meya nodded and followed Lea to a quiet corner. "I actually wanted to talk to you, too."

"Well, you go first," Lea said as she dried her hands with her apron.

Meya bit the inside of her lip and thought of where to start. "Well, first off... My clothes from yesterday are in that bundle, and, well... There's blood on them."

Lea nodded. "I already expected that from what I've heard. No worries about that." She smiled sweetly.

Meya fidgeted with her apron, avoiding Lea's gaze. "That's not all, though..."

The smile on Lea's face faded. "What is it?"

Meya closed her eyes and gritted her teeth. Damn you, damn you, damn you, you goatish bastard! Gathering her courage, she spoke slowly, weighing every word. "Well... You know how the lord uses these special handkerchiefs?" She looked up at Lea, and her expression told her enough.

"Yes..."

"Well... ehm..." She averted her eyes again. "I... I don't know why... but..." She sighed again and clutched her apron. "For some reason, Lord Deminas decided to use something else."

Lea frowned. "What?"

Meya could feel her cheeks burning with embarrassment. "He... He used my underwear."

Lea's eyes filled with shock. "Oh my..." She placed her hand on Meya's shoulder, comforting her. "Well, don't worry. I'll be sure to wash your bundle so no one else will have to find out, alright?"

Relieved, Meya looked up and hugged Lea. "Thank you. I don't want anyone getting the wrong ideas, you know..."

Lea patted Meya on the back. "It's fine, don't worry."

She let go of Lea. "What did you want to talk about?"

"About yesterday and this morning, really. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Gail's pretty upset."

Meya huffed. "It's kind of hard not to notice."

"I understand you might not want to talk about certain things. Especially things like..." She glanced at the pile of laundry.

"Well, I'm glad you understand. I just wish Gail did too. Some things I would rather keep private."

Lea nodded. "As a servant here, you don't have much to call your own. For some, all they cherish is their privacy. For others, it's the latest happenings in the lives of those around them."

Growing frustrated, Meya snapped, "Can't Gail entertain herself with the stories of all the other people here? Why is she so interested in what happens to me?"

"Gail simply wants to be friends with you. Yesterday, it was quite clear that you told Nina some things. The fact that you told her but refused to share with us—with her... Well..." Lea sighed. "She feels left out, I suppose."

"And what do you want me to do about it?" Meya crossed her arms. "I've been here for not even a week. I'm still getting used to living here, to the lord's"—she gestured wildly at the bundle of laundry—"actions. I do hope you didn't expect me to be best friends with everyone. I can be friendly to everyone, but being good friends? That takes time with me. If Gail acts the way she has just because I want some privacy, then I don't know if I can be good friends with her."