Chapter 18

"Hey, where've you been?" Nina asked as Meya sat down next to her. "I didn't see you at lunch."

Meya stirred her potage. "I went to see Gail."

"How bad is it? I tried asking Lea, but she didn't say much."

It was silent as Meya swallowed a bite of food, taking the time to consider what to say. "The lord sewed her lips shut."

Nina gasped. "Are you serious?" She slammed her spoon down.

Meya nodded. "Gail can't talk, eat, or drink."

"How long is this supposed to last if she can't even drink?"

Meya hesitated for a moment. Should I tell her? Some people were already leaving, and their table was rather quiet. Not wanting anyone to hear what she was about to say, she moved closer to Nina and whispered in her ear, "The lord told me she was to suffer for at least three days, or even until she collapses."

The colour drained from Nina's face. "What if she dies?" she asked in a hushed voice.

"That was my concern too. Which is why I'm to return to the lord after supper. He'll shorten her punishment if I suffer in her stead."

Shocked, Nina pulled away so she could look Meya in the eyes. "No," she hissed. "I don't want you to get hurt just because Gail's unable to keep her mouth shut." A mirthless chuckle bubbled up from her throat. "I must say, the punishment is quite fitting in that regard."

Meya glared at her. "Gail might have been at fault, but I think we can both agree that a whole day of having your lips stitched, unable to eat or drink, is more than punishment enough."

Nina huffed. "No doubt, but still..." She pouted a little. "I don't want you to suffer for her mistakes."

Meya's expression softened. "Thanks for your concern, but I think I'll be fine. The lord didn't state what my punishment will be, but he did say that he wouldn't leave any permanent marks on my body."

"Well, that's a relief, I suppose..." Nina stirred her potage, avoiding Meya's gaze. "I hope you won't be too bruised then, in that case. Bruises might not be permanent, but they can still hurt a lot and for a long time, too."

Don't I know it. "But at least bruises won't kill you. Not drinking for several days..." Meya sighed. "That's a different thing." She turned her attention back to her supper.

Nina swallowed the contents of her mouth. "Just one thing though, if you indeed shorten Gail's suffering by doing this, she'll owe you. Heavily! And I'll make sure she knows it."

Meya smiled at this. "Thanks, Nina." Her hand found hers and squeezed it. "I'm glad I have you to talk to."

Nina blushed slightly. "Well, I'm glad you want to talk to me."

~~

Meya stood in front of the lord's chambers. Her stomach felt heavy and she was having second thoughts. What if he beats me really badly? It would leave no permanent marks, but still... She remembered the black eye the slaver had given her all too well—it still hadn't fully healed—not to mention the other punches and slaps she'd received whilst in his possession.

She gritted her teeth, struggling internally. Gail's a strong woman. I'm sure she can handle this.

But what if she doesn't even last three days? What if the damage can't be undone? Could you live with yourself knowing you could've prevented it?

Meya closed her eyes and groaned softly. Damn it, Gail!

Don't be afraid of a little pain. You're strong too! Go in there with your head high. Show Lord Deminas that you're willing to suffer for your friend.