Chapter 10

A long walk down multiple hallways and down several stairs ended in front of a large, iron door.

The dungeons.

Meya trembled, her mind in complete chaos.

"I find it amusing." Lord Deminas turned to look at Meya, "I have yet to do anything to you, yet you're so afraid I can smell it." He grabbed her chin and she went stiff. Her fear-filled eyes met his cold ones, though there was a slight shimmer of amusement in them. "We're going to have some fun; you can trust me on that."

Meya felt her heart pound in her throat. Her lips and mouth were dry, yet her eyes were wet and threatening to spill. "P-Please, my lord, don't hurt me."

Lord Deminas smiled deviously. "I can't promise anything." He let go of her chin and reached for the heavy keychain hanging from his belt.

Trembling, Meya watched him unlock the door and then followed him inside. They walked past several cells; almost all of them were empty, save for a few holding dirty, battle-worn men.

Prisoners of war? Images of the bodies Meya had seen on her way east flashed through her mind. The mangled remains of invaders and raiders. She shivered. Part of her pitied the captives for what their future would hold, but another part of her did not, as the men who had killed her family and destroyed her happy home had been raiders too.

They walked to the back of the dungeon where there was a large room used for interrogations—and torture.

Meya's vision began to warp and she swayed for a moment. Don't faint, she told herself. Trust that you'll— To her surprise, there was an almost-naked man hanging in chains in the middle of the room.

His head hung low and the lamplight caused shadows to shroud his face. His entire body was covered with cuts and bruises, some still oozing blood. The large bloodstain on the front of his breeches made Meya's stomach lurch and she swallowed back some bile. Whatever was underneath those breeches—or what was left of them—had to be one hell of hurt.

Meya turned away from the man. "My lord..."

"Does this sight really trouble you?" he said, slightly bemused.

"What happened to him, my lord?" Meya uttered, still trying to keep her lunch down.

"I had some fun punishing this man for his... misbehaviour."

And you wanted to show me this because...? Meya looked up at Lord Deminas and was surprised to see his face filled with emotions, though they seemed to be mostly those of delight. Is this a way to scare new servants into obedience? She turned to look at the man again, his face still hidden by shadows. The number of cuts and the blood on his breeches made her wonder, and she dared to speak out loud, "Is... Is he going to live, my lord?"

The lord's expression darkened. "Do you care for this man, then?"

Meya looked from the man to the lord, and back at the man again. She thought of how best to reply, carefully mulling her words. "Should I, my lord? I fear I don't recognise him, and as I don't know of his wrongdoings, I can't judge over his fate."

Lord Deminas laughed, sending waves of anxiety down Meya's spine. "You give such perfect answers." He walked over to her and grabbed her chin once more. "Let's see if you're able to become my little pet." His eyes bored into hers. For a moment, Meya feared that he saw into her very soul, but then he let go and walked away.

I'm doomed, Meya's mind echoed. Adrenaline rushed through her body as it prepared to flee. She was unsure of where to, or even how, but her body seemed set on that particular action.