Chapter 3

They arrived at the castle just as the sun started to disappear below the tree line. Meya's gaze was fixed on the ground, her thoughts elsewhere. The guards at the gate let them in with a mere nod as a greeting. The sudden presence of other people brought Meya back to reality, and she tensed up when she noticed the guards were staring at her as she walked through the courtyard. Juris gave her arm a little comforting squeeze. She relaxed a bit but remained wary as she turned her attention to the castle before her.

The magnificent structure of pale stone with grey rooftops was built against the mountain. There were two small, rounded towers at the front and two similar ones near the precipice, while a big, rectangular tower that disappeared partly into the cliff-side rose high above them.

The sudden realisation that this would now be her home made her shudder. Uncertainty tore away at her mind, and she fought to not give in and break down on the steps leading to the castle's entrance.

Juris let go of Meya's arm and opened the heavy, wooden doors. The great hallway that loomed in front of them was illuminated by lamplight. A black and scarlet carpet lay in the centre of the corridor whilst paintings and statues decorated the sides.

Meya stopped at the top of the steps to take it all in—she'd never seen anything like this before. It's beautiful!

Juris grabbed her hand and she almost yelped in surprise. "Come," he said softly as he led her forward into the castle.

Meya couldn't help but look around in awe as they progressed. Maybe this place won't be too bad...

They halted in front of big, wooden doors decorated with curly carvings. Her eyes followed the twisting and spiralling lines as they waited. After a few minutes, the doors opened and a tall, muscular man walked out. He was clad in heavy leather and chain-mail armour and his dark hair hung sleek around his tanned face.

"General," Juris said as he bowed.

Meya blinked before realising the situation and quickly curtsied.

The man merely grunted an acknowledgement, looked at Meya, then paced away.

Juris straightened himself and watched the general disappear around the corner. He turned to Meya, who still had her head low. "Come," he said and walked into the room.

Meya followed him and suppressed a gasp. She craned her neck as she drank in the ceiling's colourful fresco depicting various scenes of battle and conquest, some of the details lost as it was too high up. Her attention shifted to the walls and the multiple golden-framed paintings illustrating similar scenes. She spotted several portraits and her gaze lingered while her feet continued forward. Former lords and ladies? Would one of them be Lord De— She bumped into Juris, who had come to a halt. "I'm so sorry," she said hastily as she cast her eyes down.

"Juris, is this the new servant you bring me?" a deep, dark voice asked.

Juris stepped aside so that he was next to Meya. He bowed. "Yes, my lord."

Meya was unsure of what to do. Is it insulting to look him in the eyes, or is it insulting not to? She chose to keep her eyes on the ground and swallowed.

The sound of heavy boots walking down stone steps echoed through the large room. It didn't take long before the boots appeared within Meya's vision of the floor. Fear crept upon her and her pulse quickened. She swallowed again.

"This was the best you could find?" Lord Deminas asked coldly.

"Yes, my lord. She was by far the most healthy-looking of the lot; all she needs is a good bath. The entire walk here, she didn't complain even once. I haven't experienced that before, my lord."