Chapter 24

Meya tensed up. "You... what?"

"I'm sorry." Nina held her tighter. "I just... It all happened so fast and, at the time, it seemed like a good decision."

Meya gently pushed her away so she could look at her face, though Nina immediately averted her eyes. "Did he... force you?"

Nina shook her head. "No. I did it willingly—he even asked me twice to make sure. But..." She turned away, covering her face in shame. "I still regretted it afterwards."

Meya bit her lip, unsure of what to say. She wanted to comfort Nina, but, at the same time, she couldn't deny she was upset with her.

"After he'd healed the cuts... he... he turned me around and..." Nina's words were slow, hesitant. "He... took me from behind. Before he finished, he pulled out..." She ran her hands through her hair, a frustrated grunt leaving her throat. "It was all over my back!" She hid her face in her hands again. "He thankfully wiped it off using his towel, then passed me my own and told me to leave."

Hearing all this had turned Meya's face red with embarrassment. I thought she'd spent the night with him, too. Memories of when she'd done just that flashed through her mind. Though she'd been terrified, a part of her had found solace in the act. Maybe he does care about me? Relief flooded over her, but it was swiftly followed by guilt. Why do you care if he does or doesn't? You love Nina! And Lord Deminas just screwed her! Your lover wanted him to!

A spike of anger shot through her insides, though it faded quickly.

Nina has always been supportive. She was never jealous and made it quite clear that even if Lord Deminas were to bed me, it wouldn't alter her opinion of me, so why would I allow it to alter mine?

She swallowed and looked at Nina—she still had her face buried in her hands.

She said she made a deal with him so she could come and visit me, to take care of me. Tears stung her eyes. She allowed herself to be cut, for me. She remembered how much the cuts on her breasts had hurt, and she felt even worse knowing Nina had gone through something similar. But he healed my cuts and that stopped the pain. Nina didn't get that luxury—not without begging for it. Another spike of anger. Lord Deminas shouldn't have made her beg for—

A quiver shook Nina's hunched form. "You despise me, don't you?

Shocked, Meya realised she'd been quiet all this time, contemplating what had happened. "N-no..." She wrapped her arms around Nina and pulled her close. "I'm sorry," she whispered, her heart aching for her lover.

Nina cuddled up to her, pressing her face into Meya's neck. "I'm sorry too, for making such a stupid decision." She sniffed. "That's why I didn't come back... I was too ashamed. First, I went to the baths, as I wanted to wash myself, but even then..." Her hold on Meya intensified for a moment. "I just couldn't bring myself to face everyone after such a thing. I feared they'd notice, and I didn't want to upset you in front of them. So... I spent the night in our secret place."

"But how will... you explain... your absence?" Meya had to fight the urge to cough.

Nina released Meya and shrugged. "I've spent nights away before in the past."

"But Gail knows..."

The colour drained from Nina's face. "Oh, damn it! I totally forgot. I told her to tell you I was going to be late as I didn't want you to worry. And then things... well..." She groaned in frustration. "Damn it!"

Meya placed her hand on Nina's shoulder, squeezing it slightly.

There was a knock on the door. Startled, a cough freed itself from Meya's throat, quickly followed by several more until her face was red.