Chapter 4

⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒ First Class ⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒

The class of fourth years stare wide eyed at the many creatures as they walk in, a Ravenclaw smiles at Kevin as the Kelpie swims past the window.

The baby Phoenix glances up at the commotion to see a few students awing and cooing at her, she huffs and flies up towards the balcony where Newt stands watching her students who are yet to notice her.

Seamus Finnegan, a Gryffindor glances into the large cage that holds a Kappa, "A strange thing isn't it?" He asks his friend.

"There are no strange creatures," Newt speaks up causing everyone to look up at her, "Only blinkered people."

"Take your seats everyone."

The students slowly take their seats as she enchants a chalk to write on the board, "I'm Professor Scamander, and I will be your new Care of Magical Creature Professor, any questions?"

A Hufflepuff raises her hand and she points her wand in the girl's direction, "There's a rumour going around," The girl says in her thick Irish accent, "That you, sort of, got, expelled."

"Do you believe every rumour you here?"

"Well, no, but-"

"Then I guess you'll have to decide what you think, but, the truth will come out eventually."

A Gryffindor boy, the one from before, puts up his hand, "What's that?" He asks pointing to the Kappa that stares at them.

"That would be a Kappa, fascinating creatures, from Japan, oh, don't get to close there," She says making Seamus stop from leaning closer, "They feed on human blood."

Slowly she descends the stairs watching as everyone takes out her grandfather's book she had assigned them to have, "Lesson one. Occamies."

She reaches in taking out the small snake like creature and allowing it to sliver up her shoulders, "Can anyone tell me where you can find an Occamy?"

A girl at the front of the class raises her hand, "Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, Professor."

"Yes, Miss. Granger?"

Hermione smiles to herself, "Occamy's are native to India, they have also been found in the far east."

"Correct, Miss. Granger, yes, five points to Gryffindor."

"An Occamy is a winged-serpent creature, these are known to be quite vicious while protecting their eggs, don't worry, Orion here is perfectly safe, just a baby, he is, won't do no harm I've raised him from a little hatchling."

She carefully hands him off to the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor twins sat at the front desk allowing them to carefully pass him around the room, "Orion?" A Slytherin scoffs.

"Named after my grandfather, terrible man, he was, disowned my mother for marrying a half-blood, very big on pure-blood supremacy."

"If he was so bad why'd you name a creature after him."

"Because Orion here once tried to attack my Niffler, called Sirius, reminded me of childhood memories."

The class pass around the creatures as a boy in the front raises his hand, "Did you say Sirius?"

"Yes."

"You're the Sparrow!" He exclaims making his red headed friend raise a brow.

He looks over at the Professor and then his friend again, "I'm pretty sure she's a human, mate."

"No, it's a nickname. Sirius, he's your uncle, isn't he? He was telling me about you. I'm Harry, this is Ron."

"Ah, the famous Godson," She says with a smile, "Uncle Siri has told me all about you."

She walks to the back of the class where a Slytherin girl is shrieking as a pale blonde laughs at her, Newt scoops up Orion in her hands allowing the creature to wrap itself around her arm, "They shouldn't even be allowed in school!"

"Oh, for Goodness sakes, Pansy, it's just a little creature."

"A dangerous creature, look around, Dray, there's so many horrible creatures in here, dangerous creatures!"

"I've found the most dangerous creatures on the planets are humans." Newt says.

Walking towards the middle of the class she jumps up onto a Hufflepuff's desk making the duo jump back, "I want you to do some research for me," She says looking at the class, "Just a few inches of parchment on your favourite creature, could be anything, from a Fairy to a muggle dog, choose your favourite animal, the one that intrigues you most, you can use the rest of this lesson to start your research, there's books in the corner and many, many creatures around the room. House points will be awarded to every paper that is interesting and makes me want to read more."

A few of the students rush to get books from the library in the corner while others marvel at the many creatures in her room, "Professor?"

"Yes?"

She walks over to the Slytherin who had called for her attention, "How do you have so many creatures in this small room?"

"This isn't even half of them, extendable charms on the cages, if you could see the creatures who don't even want to come out here, you'd be amazed. Watch this."

She pulls back a large green curtain and climbs over the railing there, the students stare at the large field filled with greenery and dark blue skies behind the curtain, stars litter the ceiling of the room with a very large and full moon there too, lifting her finger to her lips she whistles loudly.

A herd of mooncalf run towards her, "Hey, guys, wait! Back here, come on, they won't hurt you," The two creatures that tried to sneak off slowly walk back towards her and she smiles reaching into the small bucket hanging on the wall she feeds them all, "There we go. Go on, then."

She swings herself back over the fence closing u the curtain again, "What on Earth were they?"

"They, Mr...?"

"Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Newt raises a brow but says nothing, "They, Mr. Malfoy, were Mooncalves."

"Miss. Scamander!"

She looks over to the Ravenclaw and nods telling her to go on, "Did you say we could do Muggle animals? Like Elephants, or rhinos?"

"Why not?" The end of the lesson arrives and Newt sends them on their way, "Next lesson is Fire Crabs!"