Chapter 9

⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒ Class Inspections ⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒

"I promised you last lesson we'd learn a little bit more on these..." She lifts her hand into the air where her baby Niffler sleeps.

"Who can remember her name?" She looks around the class, trying to ignore the gaze of Umbridge that burns into the back of her head, "Yes, Blaise?"

"You said her name was Skye, her father was Orion and her mother was..." He sighs struggling to remember.

"Goldie, your grandfather's Niffler." Draco finishes.

"Yes, well done. Now-"

"Hem, hem."

"Yes, Professor Umbridge?"

"I was just wondering if you got my owl? To say I'd be sitting in on today's lesson."

"Obviously I got your owl, or I'd be questioning why you're in my classroom." Dolores sits back again a scowl taking over her smile.

"Right, now, H-"

"Hem, Hem."

Dolores smiles sweetly as she walks forward, "I was just wondering, how Dumbledore would allow you to showcase such... dangerous creatures."

"There are no dangerous creatures-"

"Yes, yes, I've heard this before, your grandfather has said it to the Ministry a few times before actually, 'There are no dangerous creatures, only people'. Tell me, Miss. Scamander, how do you control these creatures."

"Professor."

"What?"

"It's Professor Scamander, not Miss."

"Well, I-"

"I am a teacher? Correct?" Umbridge nods, mouth agape, "I am teaching these students, who seem to enjoy my lessons, things they may need for a future career."

"And why would they need to learn the diet of a Niffler, I don't see how that can come in handy."

Newt raises a brow and shrugs handing the baby Niffler to Ron who sets Skye on his head how she likes it, "Who here is considering going into a career with Magical Creatures?"

Over half the students raise their hands, and she smiles at the few she knows are just doing it to make Umbridge look bad, "And who here enjoys this lesson?" Every single hand shoots into the air, "They may not need this lesson, but they enjoy it, and they're good at it. Ask them any questions on any creature we have covered the past few months, and they tell you the answer straight away."

"I'm not here to assess their learning abilities, Miss-Professor, I'm here to assess you."

Newt crosses her arms and stands up straight as Umbridge begins to circle her like a predator would their prey, "Did you or did you not get expelled during your years at school?"

"I did."

"During your sixth year? Correct?"

"Yes, I did."

"You also almost got expelled during your fourth year, for, and tell me if I'm wrong, setting a Hippogriff onto another student?"

A few of the students cover their mouths to hide their smiles and look down, "Yes, although I warned them not to go near the creatures, so did Kettleburn, it was their fault for not listening to me, or the teacher."

"You also received a warning, that if you didn't have one of your creatures under control you'd be sent to Azkaban, and the Ministry would take it away, what was the creature, Professor Scamander?"

"I don't see how this-"

"What was the creature?"

"A Griffin."

"And what did you set out to do with this creature?"

Newt raises her brows and casually shrugs, "Take it back to its home, in the wild, rather than be trafficked through England."

"And what did you actually do with this creature?"

Newt sighs, her eyes following the teacher before her, "I set it free, like I set out to do."

"Miss. Scamander-"

"Professor." Harry interrupts making Newt send him a warning glance.

Umbridge turns to Harry, her smiles still plastered on her face, "Yes?"

"Her title is Professor, just like you, she's been teaching here much longer than you... Professor Umbridge."

"Potter," Newt says firmly, "Sit down, now."

Harry ducks his head down and takes his seat again, "And, Professor Scamander, what is it that got you expelled?"

"That information is confidential."

Umbridge smirks raising a brow, "Why?"

"Because Cornelius asked me to keep it confidential." Now its Newt's turn to smirk as the other Professor falters in her steps.

Umbridge hums marking down something on her clipboard as she stops in front of Newt, "I'd like you to pack your bags, Miss. Scamander."

"What?"

"I said-"

"I heard what you said," Newt says angrily as she stands up making herself taller so she towers over the woman, "What do you mean I'm packing my bags?"

"You are relieved of duty as a teacher here at Hogwarts."

~~~~~

Newt stands in the court yard, her brave face on as Umbridge walks towards her, her arms crossed over her chest, "Miss. Scamander, do you understand why I am firing you?"

"Not really, no."

"It's because you not only did not complete your own education, but you continue to show these dangerous animals to students and-"

"You can't possibly do this." Draco says stepping forward, "This power is for the Headmaster."

"Its fine, Draco," Newt says holding a hand up to stop him, "I've got another job lined up, Romania, working with Dragons, and guess what? I won't be staying eight inches away from the opposite gender, oh no, I'll be staying under the same roof, in the same room."

She grins and grabs her case whistling for Rocco who runs out and hits into Umbridge as he does. "Well, then," She leans up on her tip-toes to see a familiar redhead walking through the crowd, "Here's my ride, I would say a pleasure but, I must not tell lies."

Charlie smiles as he reaches her side and picks up Rocco, "Eight inches, applies to teachers too, you know this-"

"I'm not a teacher anymore, am I?" Newt grins.

Forgetting the other Weasley's are there she grabs Charlie and kisses him causing the very large crowd of students to let out wolf whistles and to cheer.

Charlie turns bright pink almost dropping the dog in his arms as his one arm snakes around her waist, "Granger," She calls tossing a book to Hermione who catches it easily, "Keep learning."

The couple disappear of the gates, Ron and Harry lean over Hermione's shoulder to read the page that has been marked, "A drawing?"

"She's bloody brilliant."

"What the hell is the Room of Requirement?" Harry questions.

Hermione grins and looks at the map and the instructions that Newt has drawn out with a special ink meaning only trusted people can read it.

"She's found us a place to practice, a place to fight back."