Chapter 7

⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒ O.W.L.S ⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒

Newt grimaces as she looks at the two empty seats, one beside McGonagall and one besides a lady clad in pink.

Moving as fast as she can she dives into the set beside the Gryffindor Head of House before Snape can reach it making her send him a sweet smiles as he takes the seat beside the women.

"Professor, who is that?" She whispers to Minerva.

"Dolores Umbridge, from the Ministry, new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"I'm not one to judge but," She eyes the new Professor and her pink handbag, "Doesn't she look a little too..."

"Under qualified to teach the position?" Newt nods, "Yes, Scamander, yes she is."

"Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank... who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures... while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you..."

Dumbledore begins his speech only for it to get interrupted by the pink teacher.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright... happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends. The Ministry of Magic has always considered... the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster... has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected... and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

Newt raises a brow as the teacher takes a step back and sits down again.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most... illuminating."

~~~~~

"O.W.L.S," Newt calls as she walks into her classroom, "Everyone has them and everyone hates them, but they're here."

"Everyone but, Hermione." Harry says nudging the girl who blushes and looks down.

"Indeed, Potter, indeed," Newt muses with a smile as she pats the bushy haired girl as she passes their desk, "I myself, hated my O.W.L.S."

She stops half way throw the rows of tables before changing her direction and tapping Seamus on the shoulder to get him to stop doodling on his wooden table, "But, I don't want you guys to worry, you will all do great, I know you will."

"Prof-Newt?" A Slytherin student calls.

Giving that they're now in their fifth year-and she feels much older than she actually is when they call her Professor- she has allowed them to call her Newt.

"Yes?"

"What creatures are we learning about today?"

Flicking her wand a projector appears in the middle of the room, "Today, we are learning about Muggle creatures. I want everyone to give me a muggle creature and a fact, starting at the back, Longbottom, go."

"Uh- a shark?"

She nods giving him an encouraging smile, "And a fact?"

"They have very good eyesight."

"Yes, good, now, Mr. Thomas."

"A penguin and, they have wings but cannot fly."

She nods pointing to the next table which is where Draco and Blaise sits, "Draco, animal and fact."

"An Orca," She nods gesturing for him to go on, "They're closely related to the dolphin family."

"Zabini, animal, fact, go."

"A lemur," A few people let out small laughs and Draco nudges him, "Don't judge me, they're cute."

"Fact, Zabini."

"They're naturally from Madagascar."

She nods again, "Fin-"

"Hem, hem."

The class looks up at the sudden interruption to see the pink clad teacher standing in the doorway, "Can I help you, Professor?"

"Oh, don't mind me, I was simply just... observing."

Newt raises a brow and points at Seamus, "A meerkat, and they're immune to venom."

"Parkinson, stop trying to chat up, Draco and go, animal and fact."

Pansy huffs turning around in her chair to look at the Professor, "Giraffes, they are the largest mammal on earth."

Hermione's hand shoots into the air, "Yes, Hermione?"

"That is factually incorrect."

"No it is no!" Pansy shrieks.

"I'm afraid she's right, Miss. Parkinson, Giraffes are the tallest mammal, not the largest."

"Bulstrode, animal and-"

"Hem, hem."

Newt sighs, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, looking up at Umbridge she sees the woman is scribbling down on a piece of parchment, "Animal and a fact, go."

"An elephant and they-"

"Hem, hem."

"Is there a problem, Professor?" Umbridge shakes her head smiling sweetly, "Good, now, can you kindly leave while I teach my students, they need the best education of course and with you interrupting every few moment I won't be able to."

"No problem, Miss. Scamander."

"Good, now, Miss. Bulstrode, an elephant, as you were say-"

"Although," Umbridge interrupts, "I was wondering if I could ask you just one question."

Newt raises a brow, arms crossed over her chest as she stops leaning on the desk behind her, "How does a nineteen year old girl, who has been expelled from this very school, get a job as a Professor."

"She's twenty-one, and she works hard. Is that all?"