Chapter 5

⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒ Champion Selection ⭑ ⭒ ⭑ ⭒

"A little birdie has told us," Says Fred as he announces his and his brother's presence.

"That you used to cause some trouble back in your school years." George finishes.

"Back in my school years?" She question, "How old do you think I am?"

They tin for a moment, "I don't know, like thirty?"

She scoffs and throws a pen at them as she goes back to marking her papers, "Anyway," George says quickly changing the subject, "We heard-"

"I'm not helping you prank anyone, Weasley's, I'm busy off you go."

They huff and cross their arms, "And if you don't turn in your homework for me I'll tell Filch about the passageways."

"W-What passageways?"

"The Marauders Map?" She raises a brow, "Who do you think Filch took it off."

"You?"

She shrugs, "My uncle gave it to me, this slimy Ravenclaw git saw me with it and snitched on me."

The twins grin at each other and in sync place down their homework, which is the real reason they were coming up to her office, "Good for us, that's why we're here, now, about the prank-"

"Get out."

"Okay."

~~~~~

There's a light knock on her office door and she glances up to see Dumbledore standing in her office, "Oh, yes, Professor?"

"The Champion Selection is about to start, Miss. Scamander."

Her eyes widen and she jumps up to her feet grabbing a hair tie and sorting her bushy hair as she follow Dumbledore, "Sorry, Dumbledore, lost track of time, marking papers for my fifth year class."

Dumbledore smiles to himself as they walk through the doors, Newt quickly runs to her seat as Dumbledore gracefully takes his place at the front of the room watching as the students quieten down.

"Sit down please. And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the champions selection!"

Dumbledore approaches the blue flame and it glows red. A name comes out on a small piece of parchment. Everyone looks on anxiously. "The Durmstrang champion is ... Viktor
Krum!"

The Durmstrang crowd cheer. Another name comes out of the blue flame, "The champion from Beauxbatons... Fleur Delacour."

The Beauxbatons girls cheer as Fleur walks up gracefully shaking the headmaster's hand. Another name comes out, "The Hogwarts champion... Cedric Diggory."

The students cheer, and Newt nods to her student as he passes her with a skip in his step, "Excellent! We now have our three champions! But in the end only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory the tri-wizard cup!"

Everyone begins to cheer until suddenly the flame once again glows red, Snape stands and slowly walks towards it as another piece of paper flies out, "Harry Potter. Harry Potter?"

"No... No." Hagrid mumbles from beside Newt, she places her hand on his arm watching as Hermione pushes Harry forward.

Slowly Harry walks forward taking the parchment from Dumbledore, "He's a cheat! He's not even seventeen yet."

Newt pats him on the back as he passes before turning back to look at McGonagall, the two witches sharing a matching expression of concern.

Newt follows the other teaches as they chase Dumbledore, all of them arguing amongst each other.

"Harry! Did you put your name in the goblet of fire?" Dumbledore asks furiously as he grabs a hold of the boys shoulders.

Harry vigorously shakes his head, "No, sir."

"Did you ask one of the older students to do it for you?"

"No, sir."

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Yes, sir."

Madame Maxine walks forward, "Well of course he is lying."

"Lying," Newt scoffs, "Look at his face, I haven't seen someone that terrified since I let lose an Erumpent."

The French Professor turns to the younger girl, "He wants to be a Champion, who wouldn't want to be? He is lying."

"The hell he is. The Goblet of Fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object, only an exceptionally powerful conjurer could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of a fourth year."

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought Mad-Eye."

"It was once my job to think as dark wizards do Krakaroff perhaps you remember?"

"That doesn't help, Alastor. Leave this to you, Barty."

Barty crouch walks forward looking between the teachers and the students, "The rules are absolute, the Goblet of Fire constitutes a binding magical contract. Mr. Potter has no choice, he is as of tonight... a tri-wizards champion."

Newt sighs shaking her head and she crosses her arms over her chest, "He's just fourteen, just a boy, you can't possibly-"

"It's been done, Miss. Scamander."

"Professor, you can't possibly-"

"I will have to ask you, to escort, Mr. Potter to his Common room."

"Professor-"

"Newton," He interrupts sharply, "Now, please."

She nods and gestures for Harry to follow after her which he does very slowly, "You believe me, don't you, Professor?"

She sighs and nods placing a hand on his shoulder as they walk through the deserted corridors, "I do, Harry, but others may not believe you. Just make sure the few people who do, count."