30. The Great Escape

"You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles." - C. Joybell C. 

Chapter 30:

Peirce's pov:

I sit in the twelfth grade counselor's office. A tall, dark lady quickly types in my name in a computer to pull up my grades.

I was called in today during second period. Apparently they are checking up on all the seniors to see how on track they are to graduate. I expect nothing from this meeting. I know I'm on the verge of getting kicked out. I have too many absences and a D in Chemistry.

"Peirce Roberts. . ." she hums "Your grades are...not bad."

"Really?"

"Nope. If you can pull up that D in Chemistry by exam week, you'll be good to go. Now, you do have a lot of absences."

"Yes." I agree.

"Well I know what you're thinking. You can still graduate. But you can't miss any more days of school. Are they all excused?"

"Well . . . I'm the one who excuses them . . . I don't have parents or guardians."

"Right." She nods "Are you having any issues that stop you from coming to school? Money, transportation?"

Maybe I should tell her about my problem. Would she understand? What will happen if I do talk about it?

"Peirce? Are you having any issues?" she asks again.

"Yes." I say.

She nods like she understands. But she doesn't even know what I'm going through.

"What kind of problems are you having?" she inquires.

I'm unwilling to confess to a stranger what took me years to confess to anyone else. But I start hearing Rose's voice in my head, telling me to say it. This can only help you she whispers to me.

I breathe in a big gulp of air. A debate begins in my head.

...........................................

They will give me two free sessions with a school counselor. I'll be able talk about my problems and the counselor will send emails to all my teachers, informing them of my personal stress. But I'm in charge of getting my own therapist. The very thought of having to do that puts me in a nervous wreck the whole day. The only hour I manage to relax in is lunch.

I find my way towards Rose's table and shamelessly sit next to her.

"Hey." I say.

Mellissa stares at me with wide open eyes.

"Landon isn't going to sit with me." I tell her.

"That's not why I'm worried." She says.

Rose stares at the food in front of her. She plays with peas and mashed potatoes.

"What is she talking about?" I ask her.

Rose looks at me with surprise, "Oh, Peirce you're here."

"Yeah, for the past three minutes."

"I didn't notice. . ." she blanks out again.

I hold her shoulder, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She answers. I don't believe her.

She leaves her food and looks at me, "Did you talk to the counselors?"