37. Conversation

ROSE'S POV:

"I already filed a report." I tell Peirce over the phone.

"Really? That's great."

"The police said as soon as Tyler is moveable, he'll be arrested."

"I hope he rots in there."

"At first I was worried he wouldn't get arrested. Then the police told me there's enough evidence to convict."

"How are you?"

The question makes me smile. Before, he wouldn't have shown his concern.

"Don't worry about me. Your problems are much more important than mine. Like I said, I'm half-way over it."

He does not reply. So I continue talking.

"How are you doing? Did you go see the therapist the school recommended? Oh, that reminds me. I was searching online and I found a support group nearby. I think if you go it'll be a lot of help. Matty always tells me it's one of the things that kept him motivated to stop drinking."

No answer. Only his breathing can be heard.

"Peirce?"

"I need to go." He says.

My brows crease, "Why?"

"I'll talk to you later."

He hangs up. I'm left with words stuck in my throat. I was hoping we could talk more about what he's going through. The last time I saw him drink was at the party. Everyone from that day onward started talking to him, saying he was 'cool' for chugging down all the beer.

To me, it was as similar as watching him drink poison. I believe that alcohol once in a while doesn't hurt. It becomes dangerous when you start to depend on it to feel confident or to cope with something rough. Matty did this. I almost did it too. It happened when I went to parties, to impress and relax. To forget about my parents. Then I found out about Matty's problem and quit drinking for a long time. A few months ago I started again, when the reminder of my mother's absence became vivid . . .and now I know about Peirce.

My chest fills with pain when I think about it. All these years he'd cope by drinking and drugging himself, meaning he had nothing but poison to rely on. He did not have a friend, he had the pills. He did not have his parents, he had the guilt. He'd fold away his feelings and forget them with a drink. But that drink is slowly killing him. Too much of it will make his body give up.

Why do I feel he's not ready to give up just yet?

....................................................

I don't tell Melissa what's been happening with Tyler. She's too pregnant and too emotional to handle it. So I hide everything that has occurred and plan her baby shower instead.

We sit at the dining table, cutting up picture we've printed off Pinterest for her scrapbook.

"Did Matty take you to the doctor like he said he did?"

"Of course. You should've seen him when he the baby popped on the screen. He just about burst crying!"

I'm a bit annoyed Matty didn't tell me any of this. . .well, what guy would admit to crying? Especially him.

"Out of happiness or intense fear?"

Melissa elbows me, "He's a grown man, I think he can handle having a child."

"What about you? Can you handle it?"

She smiles as she cuts, "You know I'm strong. If someone in school talks about me I deal with it quite nicely."