11. Heartbeat

Gosh I just love this chapter :) remember to vote or comment if you want

------------------------------------

"Let it go."

------------------------------------

Chapter 11: Heartbeat

Rose's POV:

"I win again!" I squeal.

Mikey playfully groans. "Fine, here is your payment."

He quickly pecks my cheek, leaving me with a blush. Something tells me he wasn't too disappointed about my victory.

"What are you some kind of pac-man wizard?"

He's teasing me. I can tell by past experience he wants to flirt. Somehow, the idea of flirting feels wrong, so I try abstaining myself from doing so. As the seconds pass, Melissa's words creep further into my mind. She said that I was crushing on Peirce again: something I'm not willing to admit.

I told her we were just friends and I wasn't looking to have a relationship with him. Besides, Peirce has rejected me several times, making it very clear he isn't willing to take that step with me.

I decide to flirt with Mikey, just to forget about the whole Peirce incident. Maybe when I start getting the hang of him again, I'll realize how much I'm in love.

He takes hold of my hand. I expect a bubbly feeling, but it doesn't come.

Any day now.

"Let's play another round." I suggest, inserting a coin in the slot.

He pouts, pressing himself against my side. His manly cologne invades my nostrils. Not my favorite. In fact it's too strong.

"Fine," he agrees "But if I win, we make out in the girls bathroom."

The provocative suggestion would have excited me before, but now it only makes me uncomfortable. I was about to tell him that maybe we could make out elsewhere, but then a familiar (and much wanted) voice interrupts Mikey's promiscuous thoughts.

"Hey, Rose."

I lean away from him and turn to find Peirce next to Landon. He stands with his hands in the pockets of his black leather jacket. Underneath, he wore a white 'Underdog' band shirt. His combat boots and grey wash jeans make him look even handsomer than he was before. My heart races faster than the racing machines nearby. I forget all about that silly idea of flirting with Mikey just to prove I didn't like Peirce. Because deep down inside . . . I knew I was starting to fall for him all over again.

My stomach drops when Mikey wraps his arm around my waist. I felt wronged and confused at such an intimate gesture. What would Peirce Roberts think?

To my relief (or confusion) he only smirked, unimpressed.

"Hi, Peirce."

Landon elbows his side, "What, you're not gonna hug her? She is your friend."

Peirce shoots a scowl in his direction, but Landon only snickers.

"Its fine," I joke "I know he doesn't like hugging people. I'm cool with it. He's a jerk like that."

Peirce knew I was kidding. So I was completely surprised when he suddenly pulled me away from Mikey's hold and wrapped his arms around me for a short two seconds. Just when I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest, he kills me with a luring whisper.

"I'm not that much of a jerk."

He lets go of me, taking away his warmth. I'm too shocked to even speak. Too shocked to notice the way Mikey is flaring with jealousy.