17. Caught in Webs

He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.

-----------------------

Chapter 17: Caught In Webs

Peirce's pov:

I wasn't surprised when I heard Rosalina Perez knocking on my door at ten A.M. By then, the hangover had receded and I was filled with energy thanks to six cans of Pepsi and a powdered donut. I was washing my hands when she came by. At first, I was excited. Then I started thinking of all the awkwardness that could come along with just standing in front of her. I threw all these emotions out the window when I opened the door and found her smiling at me, like if nothing had ever happened in the first place.

She wore no makeup and a knee-cut purple dress that complimented her skin tone. In her hands she carried a McDonald's bag. Judging from the smell, its breakfast.

"Hi, Rose." I say, leaning against the door. There was no awkwardness like I had expected. Everything felt normal, my heart was still beating as fast, and my legs were turning numb. Nothing new there. She always made me feel that way.

She twisted her smile in a peculiar way, "Hi, Peirce."

I step aside, gesturing for her to come in.

"I bought us some breakfast. If you don't mind. . ." she tells me.

I close the door and put on the lock. "I don't mind."

"Good then." She sets the bag on the table and takes out two breakfast plates with pancakes.

I chuckle at the sight. "You do know those things are about 1,000 calories?"

"I know." She coos "But I can't resist the hash browns, the sausage, the biscuits, oh and the buttermilk pancakes!"

"Enough," I beg "Let's eat then."

Rose stops and looks at me. Her lips curl into a half-smile. I wonder what I must've done to get her all weird. Was I being too nice?

"Alright," she said in a smooth and relaxed tone, "Let's do that."

.........................................................

Rose's pov:

"Everything is fine. We're fine." I tell Melissa.

Melissa leans back in her bed, "Mmmhmm."

I decided to hang out at Melissa's house for a few hours. I regret doing so due to the fact that all she's been asking me is related to Peirce Roberts. Every time I hear that name I remember the horrifying fact that I got wasted at some stupid high school party. Peirce was forced to take care of me. Not only did I cry in front of him (again) I threw up all over his back seat.

To quickly forget this, I change the subject, "New Years is coming up, what are we gonna do?"

"I thought you were going to have dinner with your grams and Matty?"

"I am. But...maybe I was hoping you could change that?"

"Sorry, honey, but my parents are forcing me to go to Texas for New Year's. We're going to spend time with the fam. Over there."

I throw my arms up in utter disappointed, "But my New Year's with my grandma are so boring! All we do is literally eat roast beef and mashed potatoes, we sit down and watch one of those lame New Year's TV specials and then she forces me to eat a whole bunch of grapes and I end up getting sick! It would be better if I could at least invite a few friends over or Uncle Ernesto and his family, but no. She doesn't allow people to come over. It's just us three."