Wattpad Original
There are 33 more free parts

07 • Hot Proposal

I shouldn't let myself get an inch closer to this woman

The luscious curve of her mouth was right there waiting for me, ready to be claimed. If I leaned in one more inch, we'd be kissing, and I knew that was a very bad idea.

I could smell her kind from a mile away. Call it a skill I learned growing up. I knew when a woman wasn't going to stick around, and this one had flight risk stamped all over her beautiful body. I mean, she couldn't even remember my name.

That might sound petty, but I sure as hell remembered hers. I couldn't forget a face or a name like that.

Once tonight was over, she'd get too busy to answer my calls and disappear back into ballet land, and I couldn't let that happen. She volunteered to help me fulfill Gemma's wish, and right now, her offer was my best chance at giving that kid a piece of happiness.

It would be irresponsible of me to kiss Tan. If we ended up fucking, which we absolutely would, it would complicate everything. I couldn't have her disappearing on me when Gemma was depending on her.

All of that was true, but I'd just doubled down on stupid and told Tan I wasn't afraid of anything. And last time I checked, anything covered all the complications that came with fucking a woman who you absolutely shouldn't fuck.

As much as I told myself to stay away from this sunbeam of a girl and to leave her the hell alone, I didn't want to.

I flexed my fingers, my gaze narrowing on the marks burned into the back of my hand. I'd been living in the dark for such a long time, I didn't know how to stand in the light.

But there was something about this girl that made me want to get as close as possible to her sunlight.

So, here was my dilemma: I could look weak and tell her I didn't want to have fun with her, even though I did, or act like I had a pair, fucked her, and risk her...abandoning me.

That damn word stuck in my throat.

It only hurts if you want them around, I reminded myself. If you don't care, watching them leave is easy. I learned that lesson the hard way, which was why I didn't let anyone get close.

I didn't want this girl around. I didn't need this girl around. I had a routine that I enjoyed. I could do this, so long as I didn't act like a little bitch about it. If a hot ass woman said she wanted to fuck, who was I to turn her down?

This was what broken men like me did.

I stared at Tan, who was still wearing my favorite baseball hat. Looking so goddamn hot. It didn't help that she was pressed right against my dick, which was thickening with each second I stared into her big brown eyes.

She was staring back at me with so much curiosity and hope I could almost believe she was sorta into me–the real me–and not just the tats, but that was stupid. Right?