Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

14 • Hot Fight

Dominick

It took every ounce of strength to put one foot in front of the other as I approached the reception desk. Everyone was staring at me–Tanushre, Tyler, Betty–wearing different expressions. Sweat pricked from every pore, making me feel sticky and hot.

If only I had my damn baseball hat right now.

I assessed the three people staring at me and decided Tyler was the one I needed to speak to first.

"Hey, Dominick! Do you like my treehouse?"

I crouched beside him as he was assembling an impressive structure with logs. It was hard to focus on anything except why Tanushree was here. "I like what you've done, kid. Good work."

"Thanks." His gaze bounced to where Tanushree was standing behind me. Even though I wasn't looking at her, I could feel her warm gaze on my back. "Is that your wife?"

I nearly choked on my tongue while Tan made a sputtering noise. Right. A woman as beautiful and smart as Tan would never marry a man like me. It was ridiculous. "No, kid. That's not my wife."

Tyler canted his head to the side. "Is she your girlfriend?"

God, why did kids have to be so damn curious? Sweat was collecting along the collar of my shirt, which was going to leave a stain.

"No, she's not my wife or my girlfriend, kid."

As much as I'd love to hold that woman every single night and be the kind of man worthy of her, that was also ridiculous.

Tan crouched next to me and smelled like I remembered. Sweet and warm, like the summertime. Her closeness had me unable to speak.

"I'm just his friend," she said gently.

She thought we were friends? Why would she ever think taht? We couldn't be friends. Not a chance. Just being around her was...torture.

"This lady is here to help me grant a wish for another kid," I clarified, and understanding dawned on Tyler's face.

I turned to look at Tan and realized my memory was shit. She was even more beautiful than I remembered. Maybe it was because now I was seeing her in broad daylight and not under the glow of neon pink lights. Or maybe it was because I'd been trying to convince myself she wasn't a goddess. But it was hard to deny now.

"I know you're busy," Tan said softly, rolling her lips together, "but I have those tickets and was curious if we could speak privately for a few minutes."

Speak? Alone? I didn't think that was a good idea. Betty was staring at us, and my whole job could be hanging in the balance–depending on what Tan said to her–but I knew I couldn't take the tickets she was donating and send her on her way without a short conversation.

I nodded. Tan gave me a shy smile that made my breath hitch.

I forced myself to focus on the kid. "Would it be okay if my friend and I talk for a few minutes while you make a list of ten things you want to have inside your treehouse with Betty?"

His attention shifted back to the receptionist. "Does that mean I get another piece of candy?"

"Of course, dear," Betty replied. Her kind blue eyes crinkled in a grin. "You two can use Rebeccah's office. She's out for the day."

I stood and offered Betty my thanks, then grabbed Tanushree's hand and helped her up. I knew I'd made an epic mistake the second our hands touched. Touching her only made her more real, and I was already trying my hardest not to stare at her like a chump.