Chapter 14

ZANDER'S JOURNAL

I made a passing mention to mum about me picking up Aura for college. I had a little idea how this piece of information would make her happy but the way she reacted was something I could never have imagined. First she went on with a whole rant about how Aura is one of the best girls which was weird because she only met her once and then she kept on smiling creepily as if I have announced that I was in love. God forbid never again!

Before things could get out of hand with my mum, I got out and within no time I was in front of her house. She didn't respond to my call even after picking it up. Not unless I spoke first. She came out in a minute wearing a blue striped oversized shirt and a denim jeans. Her face is bare and her long hair is parted in the middle and braided. She looked beautiful.

It amused me how everyone in the college looked at us. Well right hand to God I would have given the same reaction if someone told me that I would be coming to college with someone who looked like her. I could see her face scrunching up and I assured her that people will get used to. Well they better.

I liked it when I saw Theo warming up to her. We have been friends since kindergarten and he is, in true sense, my brother . The man wouldn't shut up even to breath, earlier, when he saw me with anyone. Suddenly he is all Mr. Goodness with Aura. Once she went away for her classes I asked him about the same and he replied with an answer that I have known all along. She didn't give two shits about who I was or who my parents were or the kind of money or car I have.

After literature she told me that she was going to stop by the library so I asked Theo and Dylan to accompany me for a smoke. They nearly lost their minds when I told them they can't do it in the car because Aura feels suffocated. Dylan even commented that I am in a full relationship without even noticing. When he left Theo and I sat in the car while I chewed on gum to pacify the smell. Since when have I become this conscious?

Theo and I chatted about his family and mine and the football team selection and how Dylan is having second thoughts about Cindy. His eyes widened suddenly and he told me something is wrong. Initially I expected it to be Matt because of the match but my heart dropped when I saw Aura walking towards the car. She is limping and her clothes are all muddied.

Both of us rushed towards them and I,then noticed Lydia's presence as well. When I practically snatched the bag from her ,I felt like lifting in the gym again. What on earth is she studying for? I didn't dare ask. She would probably tell me its indispensably necessary for her assignments that she ends up submitting way before the deadline. Sometimes the students are reminded that there is an assignment to submit when she goes up to the teacher to give her own.

I felt the ground beneath me swoon when I saw her spitting blood. I swear if anyone laid a hand on her....she told me she fell. I wanted to shake my head at her or roll my eye like she does or tell her how very stupid it was to try and carry all of this stuff by herself but I just kept quiet and went away to get her some ice cubes. The thought reminded me of the party and I just smiled.

....

Funnily enough I have gotten used to of Aura sitting in the passenger seat next to me. Who would have thought. I told everyone that mum asked me to do it but I don't think they were convinced. When have I ever listened to her anyway.

Three years ago when she was diagnosed with ILD with honeycombing patterns in her lung , was when I actually started paying attention to mum. I felt like a jerk for always whoring around and getting drunk instead of spending time with her. Now that the time was limited I started making amends.

Humans think they are all too strong and wise until time makes them his bitch. Right now I'm that bitch.

....