Chapter 17

AURELIA

Friday night.

I just came back from the hospital canteen. Anne showed up 10 minutes later to freshen up.

"I have to perform a minor operation but it might take a while so don't wait up.", she said shoving avocado toast in her mouth.

I grabbed another one and went upstairs in my room. This book by David Malone is getting me seriously engaged and I have all these new ideas for my IR essay

Muffled voices from downstairs disrupts my focus. It's a man's voice.

I went downstairs again to check and saw Zander looking all flustered. He told me on our way back from the hospital that he'll be leaving to catch the flight for L.A. in half an hour. He had some modeling assignments. He did look all ready in jeans,t-shirt and an oversized jacket.

He looked at me and chuckled like he expected nothing less. The hair on my neck stood up as if it was only at that moment I became aware of the fact that he could also see me. I know the reason of that chuckle too. Men's wardrobe- head to toe and a messy bun.

"Looking good Summer.", he commented and my cheeks flushed. Anne hid a smile. An outside guy praising a girl from the house in the presence of family members is not common in an Indian household. It's usually frowned upon. But Anne is pretty chill. She was chill even when she was in India.

"What happened ? Is Melanie okay? ", I asked trying to evaporate the awkward situation in front of me.

"Yeah she is fine...I came to ask for a favor. "

"Yeah."

"If its alright with you, could you please stay at our place for two nights?... The nurse canceled last minute because she fell down and our backup nurse is out of town at the moment. Dad isn't home and neither will be I so...."

I thought about it. Two freaking nights is a whole lot at an unknown place. But no men will be there...well I hope they do not have any men as househelp. And Zander has done a lot for me...picking me up for college,waiting at the hospital... even though it is he who insisted on all of it , I do owe him.

"But I don't know anything about the machines she uses.", I told him.

"I will show it . It's pretty easy. You'll just have to remind her to take her steroids twice and wait for 2 hours before sleeping. She is only on oxygen at night. So it's not much.

"Okay.", I agreed in a small voice.

More than fearful of a new place , I was afraid about screwing up Melanie's health now.

I packed up some books and a notebook, some more novels my clothes and sanitary napkins because I was on my periods...it's going to be two hell of a night.

I came downstairs to stack some chocolates and chips because rich people eat boiled and tasteless food even after all the money.

"Ohh the fridge is stacked with those . You don't need to.", Zander said.

I let out an internal sigh and kept the items back.

Anne left for the hospital and I went with Zander to his home. Shadow came wagging at me.

"Dude you have two days with her and I'm getting late for my flight.", Zander ordered him.

"Hey don't be rude to him!", I said furrowing my brows.

"Sorry mam...after you.", he raised his hands defiantly and said when the doors to the elevator opened.

This was no house. This was a mansion. Like those rich people in the horror movies. They might have a ghost in closet who knows. One ghost won't be enough for a house so big. It will get lost. Even I'll get lost.