Confronting The Past Part 2

"Dad! Stop it!"

"Navy, your going to hurt him!"

"SHUT UP, ORCHID! I DO WHAT I WANT!"

Purple was curled in the corner, tears and blood coating his face as his parents screamed at each other. It was really triggering for someone his age, especially when it happened again and again.

"Your trying to hurt him!"

"I'm teaching him how to be a man! How the real world works! Is that so much to-You know what? Forget this! You two can rot in here! I'm done!" Navy yelled, giving Purple one last hard kick to the stomach before marching out the door and slamming it shut.

It was quiet save for Orchid's sobbing.

There he went.

His only father figure.

Gone.

Forever.

"Dad...DAD! DAD, COME BACK! PLEASE! I PROMISE I'LL BE BETTER! PLEASE! COME BACK!"

Purple winced at the memory. He had just dreamed about that days prior, and seeing it again was for sure gonna mess with his head more than it already had.

Jesus, his dad hadn't been this bad before. He'd always yell at his mom and him, and at some points, he'd hit him, or her if Orchid ever got involved. Yet, after all that, he still came back for his son.

Did he even know his former wife was dead?

"Who's the best kid in the world?"

Purple turned to see him and his mom. He remembered that as one of the best days of his life. He and his father came up with a plan to celebrate Orchid's birthday, and that was probably the one time he saw his dad genuinely happy.

That was when he was only six.

How would his dad think of this memory now?

"Well, I'll give you a hint: He's right here!" Navy picked up Purple and swung him around in his arms, almost as if he was a ragdoll.

Purple couldn't help but smile. It really was one of the best days of his life.

And then his dad had to go and ruin his life.

"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT?!'

Oh no. Not this memory.

He hadn't really been there for it, but it definitely told him something: his parents were not going to last long. His parents were arguing in the dead of night in this memory, and although Purple wasn't in the same room as the memory, he heard every last word.

"WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT HE NEEDS TO LEARN TO FIGHT?! WHAT IF SOMEONE WANTS TO HURT HIM?! OR KILL HIM?!"

"Don't you see how he interacts with everyone?! Everyone around the neighborhood-hell, even his teachers-say he's a complete angel. Only a sadistic monster would want to hurt someone like my son!"

Orchid was right. Almost everyone in that part of town. knew who they were, and holy shit, they adored the hell out of him. Ever since his dad started arguing with his mom, he'd always be out of the house seeking comfort from people in town, especially the kids who didn't have any parents. He'd always make them feel better with fantasy stories and play with them at the park. It was almost like the people who worked at the main orphanage in that village were his parents. Because they sure as hell treated him like he was their son.