Confronting The Past Part 3

Purple launched himself very roughly out of the blinding light. When he finally looked up, he noticed he was back in the Nether. Only everything wasn't destroyed to high hell.

"What in the..." He said to himself before a blast of white matter crashed through the floor of where he was standing.

"The Master Block.." He remembered. This was the first battle before blocks were merged.

King flew out into the open world, glaring daggers at the Piglin Brutes standing still as statues. Purple himself flew up towards King.

Purple winced at what came next as King slammed him into the ground several stories below.

"ARGH-WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO ME?! KING! DOESN'T! CARE! ACCEPT IT!" Dark Purple pointed at when King slammed Purple into the ground several stories below during their first battle.

Purple shook off his negative counterparts statement. He glanced back up at King, before seeing something entirely new appear on his face.

Guilt.

What the hell!? He's not supposed to feel guilty! I was just a pawn!

The scene shifted to before he went to Note Block World. Green had him by the elytra and he was dangling on a brick. He waved at King and pointed down towards Green and the others.

"I-I'm sorry, kid," Was what he heard before King flew back up towards Second. Another face of regret clear.

Wait.

Did he really mean that?

Purple sat in confusion. King was apologizing? How did he not catch that?! Memory Purple began running towards the portal to Note Block World, and he looked up and King, half-expecting him to not bat an eye and focus on the battle again. Instead, the tall stick looked down at Purple, and he barely saw the look of sadness cross his face.

Hold up.

Did King truly care?

He knew he cared now, he could very clearly tell, but before? When they were all fighting each other? He couldn't have cared up until the straw that broke the camels back.

Did he really care from the beginning?

"Did-did he truly care?" He asked himself.

"Figured you would've realized that earlier."

Purple turned to see King standing, crown sitting atop his head, and a look of sadness crossing his face. A dark void filled the area around the two sticks.

"I-I don't understand," Purple stuttered. "We were fighting on separate sides! You would snap, you would swipe, and you almost killed me! How could you regret that?!"

King sighed. "I never would've admitted it then, but now I gladly would: I cared from the start. The second you showed up at my door, I saw Gold in you. You had his free spirit, his talent, everything! It was almost like....you and him were long lost twins, and the second twin came to take his spot when Gold...left." He couldn't say "died", now that Gold was alive and fighting alongside them in the real world. "You may not have known Sapphire, or Copper, or Scarlet, and you definitely didn't have me as a parent, but you and Gold were almost identical!" He continued forward.

Purple took a small step forward. "You saw...your own son in someone you had never see before?" He asked softly. King's eyes filled with tears. "I-I'm so sorry, Purple. I should've realized it sooner." He said.

"King..."

"I didn't know what to do. I always thought you'd think I never cared, but I did! I loved you, and still love you, like my own son. I was hoping you'd realize that, and it hurt when I thought you didn't. I'm so sorry, kid, I-I wish I did something sooner! I was just so overcome with rage and grief about what happened to Gold that...that I was blind enough to realize I had already found a new family." King sobbed.

"A family in what?" Purple gently asked, taking another step closer.

"In you."

Purple froze. He remembered this conversation.

"I'm sorry, Purple..."

"For what?"

"I ignored finding family after I lost my son and fell into a blind rage. I completely overlooked what I found along the way."

"What...what do you mean?"

"...I found you. And I completely missed the family along the way."

"What family?"

"You, Purple. I found family in you. I'm so sorry for never realizing that."

"It's okay...I'm here now."

He really did care.

"You cared. You really did. I should be sorry, King." Purple said softly. King looked up in confusion.

"What? Why you?"

"Cause I didn't realize it! I always thought you didn't care because you used me! I thought you didn't care about me because all I was was a pawn in your master plan! You barely acted like you cared, and I didn't realize that...you did care. I'm sorry." Purple swallowed the lump in his throat. "I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner."

"I just wanted a family again. All my family did was fall apart, and the only person you ever loved ended up lost in a game corruption before he suddenly came back and is now out there fighting alongside you while I'm stuck in here questioning if you've ever cared! And now, Gold's home and I don't have a place in your life anymore! You...you don't have to care. You never had to." Purple couldn't hold it back anymore and sunk to the ground sobbing.

King kneeled in front of him, holding his head up.

"I'll still care. I didn't come because you and Green are best friends. I came because I wanted to prove to Navy, and you, that no matter what, I'd always be there for you. Even if your stuck in...whatever state your in now, I'll always be here," He brushed one of Purple's tears away. "Because I love you, Purple. I always have, and no matter what happens to you, I always will."

"But...what if one day....you grow sick of me? Or I disappoint you? Or we get separated and I never see you again? Or...or..." Purple wanted to cry even harder as he thought of everything that could go wrong.

King brought Purple closer to him. "That'll never happen. I'll never grow sick of you, you'll never disappoint me, and we'll always find each other if we get separated. I'll always be here when you need me. Your an amazing kid, Purple. I hope me being around has helped you realize that, and you deserve so much more than Navy and what he's given you. He's already hurt you enough, and I just kept that ball rolling." King said.

"King...promise me something." Purple muttered.

"Yeah?"

Purple took a shaky breath. "Please don't leave me."

King's heart shattered.

"Oh, Purple." He hugged the stick, and silently began crying when Purple hugged back. "I promise you. I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying right here with you. Gold can't replace you. Nobody can. I'll be here for you when you need me. I'm so sorry, Purple. I didn't realize I made you think something like that. I'll be right here. I'm not gonna leave you."

"Promise me?"

"I promise you." King hugged him tighter. Purple felt himself drift into nothingness, but heard King say one more thing before everything went black.

"Don't worry, Purple. I promise I'll always be here for you."

"I love you."