Chapter 27- "Encounter in Fortree"

Isabella and I walk out of the vast gym, the Gym Leader not far behind us. We wait outside as Brooke shuts everything down. I pull out Banette's Pokeball. "Mega Evolution?" I whisper softly as I stare at the red and white capsule. Evolution beyond evolution? This is all very bizarre. How can a Pokemon evolve further than usual? And only a temporary amount of time? I gawk at the thought. Can Banette really grow more powerful than she already is?

Isabella clutches my shoulder. "Banette is gonna win," Isabella claims confidently, "trust me. I've seen you two work with each other. There's no way you two can lose."

"Have you heard of Mega Evolution before?" I ask her. 

The Fairy-Specialist looks down. "I've dabbled in it before, but Elite Four Members usually aren't allowed to Mega Evolve their Pokemon during battle." She glances back up to me. With a slight grin, she continues, "Usually only the Champion is allowed to evolve their Pokemon during battle, and Gym Leaders who are being challenged for an Eighth Badge." I remember first meeting the Champion Steven and his Skarmory. I remember them training and I remember the Skarmory smash a boulder into a hundred pieces. 

"Can Skarmory Mega Evolve?" I ask.

"Hm," Isabella ponders, "no, I don't think so. Why do you ask?" 

"I remember meeting Steven. He had a Skarmory with him, and since you said only the Champion is allowed to Mega Evolve I assumed."

The Elite Four Member laughs. "Oh, Dream, Skarmory doesn't Mega Evolve. Steven has a Metagross that he Mega Evolves. Incredibly strong. Very difficult to beat. I've seen it in action before, I should know."

I look back down to Banette's Pokeball. Will Banette be able to be that strong? "Do you have any Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, Isabella?"

"Gardevoir and Mawile can. I don't usually Mega Evolve them much, but when I do, I usually use it on Mawile." Isabella pulls out something and clutches it in a fist. She opens up her palms, revealing two' small, brightly colored stones, one slightly darker than the other, both with an odd symbol in the middle. "The darker one is Mawile's," she says, "and the other is Gardevoir's."

I stare in awe at the beauty of the colored stones for what seems like an eternity.

Isabella then puts the Mega Stones back in her pocket.

The Desert Queen walks up to us and stands there. "Congratulations again, Dream," she tells me, perking a grin. Brooke gives me a large hug and doesn't let go for several moments.

She finally releases her grasp and looks me in the eye. "I hope this battle helped you get over what happened on that mountain. At least a little." 

I nod slowly, but uncertainly. I'm not entirely sure if I did completely get over Jacob's death...or...or how I killed him.

The Gym Leader grins brightly amd glances to Isabella. She steps to the Elite Four Member and says, "I know that you've been having trouble at the Pokemon League." Isabella suddenly looks stunned. "C'mon, Izzy, we're good friends and we've been good friends for awhile. I know you're having some identidy issues or whatever the hell you want to call it." Isabella glances to me desperately, but then back to Brooke. "Every time you get into something, you get bored and want to get out of it just as quickly. But listen," she steps closer to Isabella, "You can't get bored of her." Brooke points an index finger to me. "She needs you, she needs a friend. She can't go about all this alone. Don't do what you usually do." There is a long moment of silence.

I'm sort of blown away by this side of Brooke. I've only seen her as a zestful, cheerful character. However, now she's downright brooding. Her lock on Isabella's eyes is like a sniper going for the kill.