Chapter 3: Ebony

His sister? Time froze as Selena slowly swiveled her head over her shoulder to look at Silver. "Oh." That was all she could say. He grinned and made haste to reach where she stood. Meanwhile, Thor stood back on his haunches and kept his guard up as if he was about to attack Silver in that instant, like a snake ready to strike.

Still ignoring the threatening dragon, he lifted her chin to meet her gaze and brushed away a tear with a sweep of his thumb. "I'm sorry I never mentioned her before, but I haven't seen her in years. Honestly, I thought she was dead until she showed up earlier today." Silver laughed, but she still failed to find the humor in his explanation; she was no longer mad at him but now angry herself for jumping to such harsh conclusions when there was an apparent reason. Only when Silver extended his arms did she accept his affectionate hold.

She found the right way to apologize for her harsh reaction when Silver didn't deserve it through fuddled speech. "I-I'm sorry. I overheard parts of your conversation with her, and when you brought up the wedding, I thought—"

Silver raised an eyebrow, genuinely confused by how she perceived his last conversation with his sister. "Yes? I meant our wedding, as in yours and mine. Did you believe I would leave you?" Before looking up, Selena wiped the rest of her tears away, pushing back the stinging pain of guilt for thinking he would abandon her; he gently kissed her crown. "You know me better than that, my dear. Come with me. I want you to meet her."

Thor growled through his fangs when she and Silver walked past, but the demigod strode forward without a second glance. What did he do to you?

I was being foolish.

It took him a moment to realize what she meant. I still find it strange that you humans only take one mate.

We humans get emotionally attached easily.

I may not fully understand it, but I would tear his limbs apart if he ever hurt you. As Silver and Selena re-entered the tower, satisfied, Thor finally tucked in his wings before returning to his pavilion.

Along the trip back to the apartment, Silver talked a little about his sister insisting on playing the piano to break from their conversation regarding current events while keeping his arm wrapped around her shoulder. During his briefing over his sister's history, occasionally, his eyes darted to her bandaged stump, and he would cringe. When they strolled past where Selena knocked over the potted plant, it shocked her to see it stand as if she had never touched it; she assumed Silver had fixed the incident.

Their visitor waited near the doorway, hands clasped behind her back, standing about as tall as her brother. Her snow-white hair flowed to her waist with an identical pair of glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose, like glass cases protecting her amethyst eyes. Her pale skin glowed from the sun's touch, her ebony suit magnifying the glint kissing her cheeks. Strapped over her back was a sword with a curved blade; Selena imagined the mastery of her honed skills.

Silver stretched out his free hand towards her. "Allow me to introduce the Divine Crown Princess herself: Selena Liongod. My dear, this is my sister, Angel."

"Please, call me Ebony. Like you, Silver, I prefer not to use my real name."

Selena gave Ebony a proper bow, but Ebony dropped to one knee. Silver gave a firm nod through tightly pursed lips, but Selena, unsure of how to accept the sudden regal formalities, reached out to shake Ebony's hand when she stood. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ebony."

Bemused, Ebony met her gesture, ignoring her brother's rude gaze. "The pleasure is all mine, Your Imperial Highness. My brother told me so much about you before you finally awoke. I feel like we could be friends already."