Chapter 17: Thor Alone

Three days ago, in Ulrich's lair, Thor was trapped in his pandemonium of madness. He gave in to his anger and was again surrounded by his swirling maelstrom of darkness. Ulrich's voice was the last light before extinguishing within the blackness. "Let your anger go."

No, I will never let it go.

A purple cloud covered his raging eyes as lightning struck across the surrounding ground. He flapped his wings, and Thor's storm grew violent and heavy like the purple aura glowing around his body. He summoned a black ring of dark energy that orbited him; with his final cry, he released it. It stretched outward in a shockwave, and Thor's wrathful magic destroyed Medusa and her army from his memory.

His vision brought him back to the fairytale-lovely crystallized cavern, and soon two unrecognizable entities appeared before him. Perhaps he knew them, but Thor no longer perceived them as friend or foe. To him, they were nothing.

Thor, stop!

Thor didn't react, as the voice was no longer familiar. Instead, he hung his head as his chest swelled, with each breath deeper and heavier than the last. The screaming storm continued circling him until he was entirely consumed by it. When his magic dissipated, his once ruby scales had turned to ebony; wisps of dark Aether tickled his hide as Thor's wings became wafting shadows. The purple veil over his eyes glowed eerily through Thor's unblinking trance, and all that he saw from that point forward was darkness, and all he heard were whispers from demons and the void.

Thor, no.... His mind was twisted and corrupted, and he no longer understood her. He felt a light touch on his snout, but he didn't know who was there. Was it a friend? A foe? Instead, he remained idle. No, this isn't you. This darkness isn't who you are. Please, answer me.

The stranger's words jumbled together, but clear as crystal, another voice entered his mind: Join me, Destroyer of Worlds. The time has come for you to serve the Dark Master.

Yes, Master.

Thor didn't even try to fight his new master's orders, and he was more than obliged to obey. He lifted his head and roared before opening his massive jaws, exhaling his new and terrifying breath. His once Divine fire changed to a black Aether beam with writhing ropes of lightning, and he blasted a hole through the side of the mountain; once the falling rock debris cleared, Thor launched himself skyward in one leap and flew away from the Aurora Peaks.

The dark voice echoed through his subconscious again: Yes, come to me, Fallen One, and join me at the ruins of Alfheim. I shall be waiting for you.

The brilliant blue ore moon rose above Thor as he continued his predestined course. He floated for hours until the sun hovered over the horizon behind him. However, his eyes snapped open when he heard a voice calling out from the light: Thor! Thor!

His wings struggled to keep him adrift, and Thor's head thrashed about as he moaned and groaned. He rocked himself back and forth as he began spinning out of control. Yet, his head filled with a harrowing ring, and he was back under the dark influence that drove his purpose. However, Thor could no longer continue to abide by the Lich's control when the voice cried out again. Thor! Where are you? Thor!

The dark purple veil vanished, and Thor's eyes returned to normal as he stopped in mid-flight. He whipped his head around, thrashing about in place by clawing at his horns, and let out a roar that made the heavens cry. The distraught dragon attempted to return his handler's call, but his mind was still addled. He could hear Selena, but he couldn't answer her; Thor was in a constant battle fighting off the Lich's magic.

No... no!

Selena's voice twinkled within his subconscious. He turned around and saw a slithering shadow disappear into the fading mountains behind him, and Thor immediately flung himself after the silhouette. My dear one, is that you? I'm here. I'm right here.