Chapter 24: Into the Inferno

While Lord Godfrey and General Araneus resumed their offensive and stopped the enemy's rain of fire, and Selena and Thor took their fight to the Lich, Rahim pursued Niamh. She and Fafnir were upon the allies; when Fafnir belched forth his dark Aether destruction over parts of the general's army, Rahim spurred Eshara and held on tight as the two sped after the pair. The wind howled, and the crimson clouds swirled overhead as Fafnir moved with haste and purpose towards the city. Eshara flew through when he and Niamh vanished behind the veil. However, suddenly Fafnir appeared before Eshara, and the two dragons were set on a collision course.

"Niamh," Rahim called as the two masked dragons banked to avoid one another, Niamh grunting as her companion thrashed and bucked. Rahim checked to ensure that she was still safe as Fafnir and Eshara broke apart, struggling against the turbulence, and both Niamh and Rahim were tested by the jerky flight. Yet, Eshara remained steady and flew by Fafnir's side. "Niamh—it's me, Rahim."

She didn't answer but focused on the black fire consuming the world below as the newly risen undead army surged forward. His eyes froze like a pond in winter when she turned a deaf ear to his pleas. However, her head swiveled back to face him, and his lips trembled when he saw her eyes weren't hers; they glowed purple like Thor's after he gave in to darkness. "Niamh... No." Rahim's voice cracked.

When he saw that she readied her sword, Rahim and Eshara flew away to avoid direct combat. During their escape, the same ominous tone rang in his ears from when he first confronted his father. His head cranked to the side as he heard the slow flaps of a great dragon; his heart nearly burst from his chest upon seeing Arawn and his companion approaching through steady wing beats. Arawn's masked dragon shrieked, and Rahim prompted Eshara to avoid it. She roared with plumes of black flame erupting from her clenched fangs, but she dodged as the enemy dragon struck at her and swept herself across the burning sky to flee. However, Arawn hovered aloft, not giving chase.

Fafnir roared and made a terrifying sound that Rahim surmised was laughter; Fafnir's voice made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. He and Niamh soared through the billowing clouds after the fleeing Rahim and Eshara; the two zipped past Arawn and his companion, who only watched the scene with a smirk.

The storm impeded Niamh's pursuit; Rahim and Eshara broke through the clouds to find the eclipse's illumination. They hovered, searching for any signs of their enemies, but an eruption of black fire burst through the crimson spires from below. Eshara veered away as Niamh and Fafnir flew upwards, and Fafnir belched another dark Aether at Rahim and Eshara as they escaped.

When Rahim thought they put more distance between them and Niamh, Fafnir intercepted the pair and clutched Eshara in his hind claws while snapping his fangs at Rahim. Eshara roared, slashing her tail against Fafnir's head while clawing at his exposed neck, black venom boiling within her maw. She released her breath attack, yet Fafnir only winced as he snaked his head around to strike at Rahim. Instead of fighting back, he squirmed away to avoid Fafnir's fangs. His hand grasped his revolver, but he didn't dare to use it against Niamh. "Please."

When it was clear she still wouldn't answer, Rahim gritted his teeth, but he withdrew his hand from his weapon and struggled to grasp Eshara's reins. His eyes caught the gleam of Niamh's sword as she unsheathed it and pointed it at him, and Rahim couldn't hold back any longer. "I love you."

Niamh stopped, her face twisted, and threw her sword overboard without warning. She snatched Fafnir's reins before placing her fists against her ears, screaming while their dragons tail-spun and spiraled towards the ground. Fafnir ignored Niamh's cry as he sank his claws deeper into Eshara's hide, but with one last effort before crashing down, Eshara twirled her body around and exhaled a torrent of black fire, scorching Fafnir's hind legs. He finally released his grip and recoiled while Niamh thrashed about, and Rahim got to hear her voice for the first time since Snowhaven, though disgruntled. "Ugh...."