Chapter 27: The Golden Crown

Following Xyaxon's defeat, Selena and Thor were imbued in a flash of light, and the pair were teleported before the lonely glass castle in Niflheim. Azrael—in his human form and Doragon as a Sunbeam Shieldtail dragon beside him—and Ulrich appeared before the pair. "You two did it—you defeated Xyaxon," Azrael cheered, and he and Ulrich bowed before them.

Focusing on channeling her Aether, Selena resumed her elven form. She was relieved to see the return of her Aether hand, still wearing Silver's promise that Thor immediately began eyeing with interest. The dazzling moissanite stones reflected rainbow flecks, matching the colorful smoldering ember ropes clinging to his horns.

Contrarily, Thor maintained his current guise, and she assumed that this was a Divinity Dragon's proper form. After extinguishing the orb burning above his head and the flames writhing around his horns, and his wings reverting to their parchment-textured membranes, Ulrich snaked his head around to examine Thor's new physiology and confirmed their suspicions. "Much like how you reverted the Well's mistakes, Young One, Thor cleansed the Lich's corruption that wrought havoc upon his form and mind. Now, you two are pure once more, though this is the first time I've seen a fully realized Divinity Dragon. All the others before you two never unleashed their full power."

Thor tore his gaze away from her wedding ring, stood tall, and unfurled his spectral wings; wisps plumed from his edges, and Selena knew he was proud. Chittering in delight, Doragon—his head now only reaching Thor's chest—inquisitively observed his former rival's brilliant hide and spectral wings. The golden dragon's smooth, metallic scales couldn't compare to Thor's dazzling diamonds, and he bowed in acknowledgment.

Azrael bit his lip and crossed his arms over his chest, tilting his head in curiosity at their new appearance. "Who taught you this?" Selena's answer, "I learned how to control my Aether," was enough to make him smirk.

Thor snaked his head back down again and nudged his nose against the meteorite diamond, and Selena had to explain its purpose. I want him to use my saved gold bullions and craft me some jewelry. You must tell me of your feats during our separation, but I'm happy for you and Silver.

I'm sure he would oblige and thank you for the sentiments, but I wished you were there.

Azrael eyed the ring and clicked his tongue against his teeth. "For you two, that vow will be eternal. I wish you luck, but I can barely stand the bastard after five minutes."

They shared a hearty laugh, but their smiles faded when Ulrich explained how she and Thor ended Xyaxon's cycle of rebirth and destruction, and his attack vanished from their world. The Divine Emerald Dragon lowered his head in shame and despair. "Xyaxon believed that this allowed life to continue and flourish, where everything was balanced. Until now, we followed without choice. We loved our brother, but he lost his way."

A terrible pain throbbed in Selena's chest; Xyaxon was doing what he thought was best, but in the end, it destroyed him. "Life can continue and thrive; we change and grow."

Xyaxon could have seen that for himself, but it may have been too late.

Azrael reached over and patted Doragon's neck. "Despite what we went through with Xyaxon, it hurts us more than you two can imagine that it had to end this way. We thank you two for lifting Ulrich's curse and my banishment, but we lost a friend and a brother."

Our condolences for your loss.

"Thank you, but he died long ago when he lost his way," Azrael sighed, "There was no bringing him back."

But he did mention something interesting in his final moments. Thor repeated Xyaxon's last words to the two remaining Divines. When he finished, Azrael and Ulrich exchanged confused glances. What did he mean?