Chapter 8: Whispers in the Dark

Armageddon slept under the burning blue sky. Selena awoke to the northern lights, but she saw that Silver had already packed the supplies needed for the trip. After the two spent the evening together, she fell into sleep's deep torpor. Slightly unnerving that he never slept, Silver dedicated his free time to working on unfinished laboratory projects or reading—she supposed that being an immortal shapeshifter, he didn't need to rest.

Once Silver and Selena gathered the blueprints and supplies to Thor's pavilion, Rahim joined with his luggage slung over his shoulder as the two finished strapping down Thor's harness. Thor ignored the couple as they locked gazes and blushed; instead, he snaked his head down to get another good look at his new sapphire pendant, admiring its gleam. Rahim snickered at Selena when he noticed her odd behavior, but he kept his opinions to himself.

Selena helped Rahim tie down his baggage to the saddle before spinning her head around. Where's Ebony?

She left for now, but Ebony will return after our mission. Thor fixed his gaze heavenward and let out a long moan, followed by a plume of smoke fuming from his nostrils.

You miss her already.

Enough with the teasing. Thor snaked his head around to sniff her new hand. It's about time I got to see it. Your hand reminds me of the old dwarven contraptions.

Silver did say their technology inspired it.

Incredible. Am I assuming it's working well?

Well enough.

What do you mean?

It still feels strange.

You'll grow used to it, and you finally have two hands again.

Thor stepped down the marble steps from his royal pavilion when everyone was aboard, ready for flight. The sky was still dark, but the faint sun crept over the horizon; the forming black clouds rumbled and swirled in place as they swallowed the rays of sunlight in the distance. Thor spread out his massive wings, tightened his leg muscles, and launched himself in one enormous leap. The sky howled as his wings swept through the fading stars. Selena belonged up here—if only she could freely turn into a dragon and join him in flight; she was envious of Thor. Although it had been a few days since their last flight together, it felt like an eternity.

I know of your envy. What is a dragon that cannot fly? Thor released a steady jet of flame, and Selena only grinned as she embraced the freedom of being so close to the heavens.

Rahim pulled out his spyglass from his pockets and looked at the black clouds brewing. Flashes of lightning cracked the sky in two, and the thunder roared like a flight of dragons. It wasn't raining yet, but Selena knew they would have to take shelter soon, her mood keeping surprisingly calm. Silver, meanwhile, sat cross-legged against the side, and although he looked perfectly relaxed, he would occasionally cast a worried glance. Yet, to his surprise, she wasn't affected by the coming storm.

Rahim dismissed the charcoal sky and breathed in deep. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss flying. I miss the adventures."

Selena shook her head. "I don't know about the adventures. Let's not give the Council a reason to hunt us down."

Silver raised a hand, warranting an interruption. "No, they won't. The best part is that they think you're dead. Now, we don't have to worry about them tracking us down."

That struck a nasty blow for her. "They think I'm dead?"

Rahim and Silver exchanged glances. "Isn't that a good thing? That means we don't have to worry about hiding too much." Rahim punched into his palm. "We can sneak around the Empire and plan a counter-attack. Those tossers won't know what hit them."