Chapter 13: His Solemn Hour

"You and your crew are highly qualified for the mission I have in mind, Captain Battleraven." Vidar clasped his hands together as he leaned forward against his desk. The band of mercenaries wasted no time in meeting with him after returning to Rune Citadel. Their fleet of flying airships docked around the mountain metropolis, overlooking the smoldering remains of Alfheim. A lamp stood between the half-elf and Dante Battleraven, the fearsome sky pirate captain of the Blood Diamond, an awe-inspiring ship capable of carrying up to forty fifteen-ton dragons. The sixty-gun heavy frigate was considered the largest and most powerful vessel ever constructed.

The captain's wide-brimmed hat shrouded his chiseled and scarred face in shadow, veiling Battleraven as he twirled his richly jeweled necklace with his bony fingers. "You know I don't do anything for free. Everything comes at a price." Vidar cleared his throat as he reached down and grabbed a sealed trunk that he threw down on the table and pushed towards the captain. Battleraven snatched it and popped open the top, revealing a pile of glowing riches inside. Confident in officiating this deal, Vidar watched as the sky pirate captain grabbed a single gold coin and inspected it. "What do you need me to do?"

A vicious sneer played upon Vidar's lips after capturing his attention. "Are you familiar with Selena Liongod?"

"Aye. Your gormless companion wouldn't keep his bloody trap shut about her."

Vidar stood up and paced his office, ignoring the captain's complaint about Ashur Bel. "Word has spread of her surviving Snowhaven. I didn't believe it until recently, and now she has declared herself the 'Queen of Dragons.' But she's not the one sitting upon the throne."

Battleraven scowled and pinched the bridge of his long, crooked nose. "Sod off, or get to the point."

"She recently paid a visit to my lovely Mortemholdt and helped my special guest escape, not to mention killing a bunch of my guards and prisoners. I want you and your crew to find and kidnap Liongod by any means necessary. I have no qualms if you must kill her, but I prefer her alive for now."

Battleraven burst into raspy laughter. "You want me to waste my time chasing down this brat because she freed your prisoner. Please, I have more important matters that require my attention. That's not my problem."

Vidar sneered. "What matters are those, if I may ask? More important than your illegal fighting arena?"

Captain Battleraven growled and scoffed at Vidar's insulting comment. "It doesn't matter what's legal or not. I have a business to run here, and it doesn't involve chasing down little girls. The point is, there's a lot of gold involved. Besides," he turned and nodded to the floating ships, "with how anxious and pent-up my crew is, there probably wouldn't be much left of the girl to give you once they're done with her. Again, this isn't my problem."

"It will be soon if she isn't dealt with now." Vidar turned around and placed both palms on his desk to face the captain. "The Council and I now serve His Dark Majesty. Since I hired you and your band of mercenaries, you also serve the Dark Master. Selena Liongod is the only one who poses a threat to the one we serve and any ongoing contracts and dealings between you and me in the foreseeable future. If you and your crew help us deal with that trouble, there will be more gold: half now, half later. As you've said so yourself, Captain, everything comes at a price."

Slightly intrigued by the promised fortune, Battleraven rubbed his chin, and his dark brown eyes sparkled from the lamp's fire. "We've heard of her dragon. How do we deal with it?"

"You don't need to worry about the dragon: the problem will soon solve itself." Vidar spun around on his toes and glared at the captain. "And tell your crew to leave something to give to me. I don't care if they want to have their fun, but I prefer you keep her alive and in one piece. The Dark Master wants to deal with her himself."