Chapter 9: Mortemholdt

Rahim held his revolver close to his chest, ignoring and turning away as Silver returned to his human guise and inquired about his welfare. When neither Selena nor Silver could make eye contact with the distraught Rahim, they hastened to Thor's neck injury, and through the dragon's swaying, unsteady flight, the two worked together and mended his wounds. However, Rahim's quivering hands couldn't hold the gun anymore, but he made no effort to pick it up as it fell to his feet.

"What's the matter with you?" Selena asked him when she and Silver finished their healing session. Rahim wrinkled his nose and shook his head, but he didn't reply.

Thor stretched out his neck and moved his newly healed muscles. Delighted with their work, he picked up his pace and maintained course towards Mortemholdt. Before the group knew it, Lake Peril was soon well within aerial view. Thank you. My neck feels much better, but is Rahim okay?

I dunno. He won't say anything.

Silver actually came over and put a comforting hand on Rahim's shoulder, but he shrugged it off and hurried away. "I heard you say 'dad' earlier. Was he—?" He met Selena's horrified gaze when Rahim didn't move and hung his head. "I'm so sorry. Truly, I am."

"That wasn't him." Rahim's voice was hoarse and hard for the others to hear, shattering like glass. "He couldn't have been my father."

Selena approached Rahim from the side, but he moved further down the saddle and rummaged through his bags, pulling out a scrap of paper before she could inquire further. Only when she inched closer did she realize that it was a photograph of Chaliss with a man by her side; much to her dismay, it was the same stranger they had just fought. Rahim sniffled and turned his back to her before stuffing the picture away. "Before, when you asked me what was wrong, I didn't want to admit that planning to rescue your father made me think of my dad. There, happy?"

Selena's face turned pale. "I'm never happy when you're upset. You've never mentioned a word about your father."

The grim atmosphere made the trio shift uncomfortably in their seats, and Rahim bit his cheeks. "He left my mother right after I was born, so I never knew him. The only thing I have to remember him by are just old pictures. I managed to grab one before we left Helshire to remind myself that I did have a family. Sometimes, he crosses my mind, but it never bothered me—not before now." He couldn't help but shift his gaze towards the fleeting image of the mysterious rider, and his shadow vanished over the horizon. "I didn't want to mention it because it's never been about me."

It was like Rahim had struck her across the face. "You shouldn't think like that. If something ever upsets you, you have every right to bring it up. Please, tell me everything you know about your father."

"There isn't much to say. I barely remember Arawn—my dad. He left my mother, and that was the end of it. Still, I always wished I knew what happened to him, but I never thought he joined the Order."

"Maybe he didn't have a choice."

The two were interrupted when Silver suggested asking Ulrich if there was a way to save Arawn, but Rahim doubted that the Divine would be willing; Selena, however, suspected he didn't want to face the hard truth. Eventually, he sighed and said, "I hope you're right." He finally picked up his gun and holstered it to his belt.

Only when he refused to indulge her curiosity did Selena return to her seat; Rahim kept silent even when Thor gained speed towards Lake Peril. Instead of invoking him any further, she began pestering Thor and rubbed the base of his neck where his wounds were. How are you feeling?

He snorted. I've already told you I'm okay since you and Silver healed me.

I'm just making sure.