Chapter 25: Baptism of Fire

She froze, with Revelation still trapped in mid-swing as the song of Aydin's final hour chimed within her ears. The glow from Azrael's weapon flickered before extinguishing like a candle's flame, and Aydin's light from the endless diamond sky went out. I'll always care and remember.

Coming to terms with her new predicament, she lowered the scythe; Oblivion was now her eternal prison. "At least everyone else is safe. Maybe that was enough. I am sorry, Thor and Silver—I tried." As Oblivion's silence served as her new companion, Selena dropped to her knees and bowed her head in prayer for her friends' safety after setting Revelation down.

Yet, her head snapped upward upon hearing a lovely tune, as if someone played a gentle melody on the piano, and the most beautiful sound in the world returned to her: My dear, can you finally hear me?

Her heart was about to burst from her chest when Thor's voice twinkled within her consciousness like glittering starlight. I'm so glad to hear you again, but how? Where are you? What's happening out there?

I'm right behind you. Please, turn around. The landscape faded out of existence when she glanced over her shoulder, and Thor was there, his crimson hide blazing against the black velvet curtain. Her eyes flooding, she ran over and embraced him. Thor extended out a loving arm and drew her close to his chest; when the two broke apart, he allowed his long, crimson tongue to flow from his maw, and he licked her cheek. You will never do that to me again.

Hopefully, I won't have to. How did you get here?

I don't know. Somehow, I wound up here after we destroyed the portal.

Selena's eyes fell upon Revelation, and her guilt slowly overpowered her. He was just a broken man. Did I do the right thing?

You did what was necessary.

He may have been the one who caused all our misfortunes, but I didn't feel like that was the right way to defeat him.

Thor rubbed his snout against her back. Allow me to send Aydin's soul a triumphant roar. He stood on his haunches, reared his head back, and released his thunder while unfurling his wings.

Selena wiped her eyes and picked up Revelation, but the hair on the back of her neck stood on end when she suddenly sensed the two weren't alone; Thor fell into a deep growl as he picked up her uneasiness, tail swishing. "Indeed, that was most admirable." The two paused when their instincts were proven correct and looked at each other, for neither spoke.

The darkness melted away like spilt oil, and sudden light beneath their feet blinded the pair. As their visions adjusted, large numerals appeared upon a colossal ethereal platform manifesting itself into existence. The scene cleared, and Selena and Thor stood upon a giant clock face etched into the circular celestial glass—expansive as the ocean—floating freely in the night sky. A ticking sound echoed in their ears, and the clock's hands slowly drifted behind them, counting down the seconds. The cosmic ether adorned itself with infinite sparkling diamonds, stars dotting the black blanket; plumes of nebula clouds of blue and green burned like the northern lights—they wafted in Divine's vast pool. Together, they stood in ominous unbreakable silence.

My dear, look over there. Thor nodded to a giant blue and green orb floating in the nether below them.

What is that?

"That is your world," the voice said again. Both Selena and Thor spun around and flinched when they saw a giant standing across from them on the clock platform. The titan made Thor look tiny by comparison, towering over the two like a mountain. Its diamond-white full suit of armor trimmed in gold magnified the color of the eternal flames shaping its lion headdress helm. Spectral, feathered wings made of light protruded from under its flowing, black cloak, their massive length enveloping the divine cosmos.