Chapter 14: Welcome Aboard the Blood Diamond

When all was still again, Ulrich led the three back to his lair. Selena did all she could to keep from lashing out, but her anger burned inside her every time she looked at the green titan. He still had yet to tell her precisely what brought Thor to madness, and Selena deserved an answer now.

After cleaning and bandaging her severed arm, Silver stayed by her side, but Rahim remained behind, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Whenever he attempted to help Selena, Silver shooed him away, so instead, he followed them from a distance. Growing flustered by his guardian role, Selena pulled her arm away. "Silver, please stop it."

"But now you'll need a new one. And after all the work I put into—"

"I don't give a damn about my hand." She moved away from the startled Silver to confront the Emerald Dragon. "How could you let the Lich do that to Thor? Why didn't you stop it?"

There was no remorse in Ulrich's voice, and Selena's anger swelled; his explanation lacked genuine concern. "Once you two began my trial, there was no stopping the outcome. This test was something that Thor had to face and control, as did you."

"You still should have gotten me. I could have stopped him from—"

"No, you couldn't." Ulrich's voice turning to thunder made Selena flinch and step back. "You couldn't even save yourself. Your dragon form would have overpowered and corrupted you if it weren't for Thor."

Selena stomped away from them to avoid hearing anymore. "I don't care. I'm going to find him and bring him back."

Silver reached out for her, but she shrugged him away. "No, wait."

Ulrich grunted, his eyes turning to slits. "Young One, you are in no condition to go after Thor. If you should have any chance against the Lich, you must remain here and complete your training."

"To Oblivion with your training. I'm going, and nobody is going to stop me."

"How are you going to do that?" Rahim's eyes darted between Silver and Ulrich; his shoulders trembled as he feared she would strike him down out of blind rage.

Selena squinted her eyes as she peered to the cavern's exit. "I'll fly."

Silver's jaw dropped. "You have no control over your dragon state yet."

"Then you can fly me. Take me, now."

"No, I won't." Selena couldn't bring herself to face him, and it took all of her strength not to cry again. "My dear, I understand. No matter what I say or do, I know I cannot change your mind. If you want to go, we can't stop you, but I will not be the one responsible for you getting hurt."

Ulrich's roars made his mountain quiver with fear. "This is foolish. Young One, you will kill yourself if you continue."

"I don't care. I just want Thor back." Selena reached the edge of the cavern and focused on forcing her transformation. However, she couldn't bring herself to change, except for when she was enraged or in danger. She was angry now, so why couldn't she alter her form? Her eyes began flooding with every failed attempt. Silver and Rahim watched her as she grumbled and stomped, but her efforts remained vain.

Eventually, she gave up, sat over the edge, and turned her gaze upwards at the stars; her mind was devoid of all thought except for Thor's torment. Ulrich allowed this to happen. He's supposed to help us, but he didn't intervene. "And he had the gall to tell me to let him go? I will never let him go. Thor, I promise I will find you and bring you back. You told me you would never leave my side." Selena brought up her knees and buried her tear-stained face into her thighs with only the strength to scream and cry.