Chapter 20: How to Become a Shapeshifter

The azure waters were surprisingly calm. Returning inside with Silver and Kain guiding her, Selena heard the shrill cries of the sea lions from below their cliff. Though she felt better, her eyes were still red and swollen, overwhelmed by fighting for her companion, and she was utterly lost without Thor by her side. Yet, she had accepted her role and was prepared to face the Lich no matter what happened.

Silver continued inquiring about her comfort, but she reassured him she was better. But I still need you, Thor.

Kain ran ahead to greet a companion hidden in the shadows at the end of the ornate hallway, and Selena's face lit up when she saw it was Maria. Nearly ghost-like in her evening gown decorated in red lace, the moonlight kissed her cold, pale skin and long black silk hair, her lips as red as a rose; she was a true beauty of the night. Before exchanging the proper pleasantries, the two ran over and hugged. Maria spoke first. "Kain told me you and your friends were here. Thank the Divines." When they broke apart, Selena saw the vampirism in Maria's eyes as they bled crimson. "Don't let my appearance frighten you."

"Not at all."

Upon further inquiry about Maria's recently changed nature, she happily obliged by detailing the painful transformation before arriving at Dark Blood Hold. "It wasn't easy, and I couldn't quench my insatiable appetite for the first week. With Lord Godfrey's help and assistance, I learned to control my new behaviors." As the four walked down the hall together, Maria continued, "Your recent development has been one of the conversation highlights since you and your friends arrived. Even upon seeing your dragon form is now considered a blessing from the Divines." She paused and pulled out a sealed letter from her evening gown's pocket. "A falcon arrived earlier with a letter addressed to you and Thor, Your Majesty." Maria paused, but Selena held up her hand and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound insensitive."

"There is no need, and you weren't. Who was the letter from?"

Lady Maria handed it over for Selena to see, and Silver recognized the handwriting; it was from Ebony. Selena ripped it open and held the letter up for her and Silver to read.

"I pray that this finds you just as you arrive at the keep. I heard about the dreadful news, and my heart breaks for you. I was hoping to meet both you and my beloved at Dark Blood Hold, but it seemed as if the Divines had other plans. I've been in pursuit of tracking down Thor, and I learned of his capture and forced return to Alfheim. I will continue lurking in the shadows and help in any way. I pray for Thor's safe return and your success, our Queen of Dragons."

As much as she was glad to receive news of Thor, Selena felt her stomach lurch at the reminder of his inevitable fate. Immediately, her mind reached out to his, but Thor's remained unyielding; her tendrils of thought poked around the darkness, and she did the best she could to keep from wallowing in despair. She and Silver exchanged dreadful glances, and Selena swallowed her grief. "I know that your sister is trying to help, but we could use her assistance down here in preparing for the war."

"This isn't even her war to fight." She sensed his ambivalence towards the idea, but Silver added dubiously, "Besides, I've never been able to count on her for anything. I'm surprised she's willing to do this much."

"This is everyone's war when our very existence is threatened by it." Selena turned to Maria and bowed. "Thank you for delivering this."

"Of course. We'll show you to your quarters, Your Grace."

Still growing accustomed to the new formalities, she and Silver followed Kain and Maria around the corner and up the grand staircase where the grandfather clock graced the wall, touching the ceiling. It reminded Selena of the Pyre, and for some reason, she missed the grim clock and its deathly hourly chimes. She made sure not to drag her feet across the blood-red rugs and admired that the carpets remained untainted.