Chapter 16: Noctis

Battleraven's grim defeat dyed the vault of heaven crimson. Selena kept her dragon form, and during their flight, Silver could not contain himself at how she was able to do so. You learned how to manipulate your energy to transform at will.

When you first taught me about Aether and how to manipulate others' energy, I realized I could control mine.

Ulrich said the only way you could purify yourself and use Aether was to detach yourself and be free.

I found a different resolution.

Selena sailed forward while Silver eyed her in wonder and admiration. I love you.

She soared in a heightened state of awareness, enjoying the new senses that beguiled her; sight, sound, taste, and so on. She could hear the patter from all creatures across the ground, from the crawling ant to the pirouetting deer; Selena enjoyed listening to the earth's sweet ballad of life. She carried the strength of a hundred dragons—Selena wondered if Thor always felt that way—but immediately, her attitude spiraled downward, unsure of how she could enjoy her awakening when her companion remained lost.

The sunlight shimmered across her Aether scales, reflecting glimmering turquoise specs. Selena even caught Rahim admiring her beauty as a dragon on several occasions, which gave her the gleaming pleasure of knowing that no other dragon could compare except for Thor. She allowed a small stream of Aether flames to slither and twirl through her serrated fangs as she thought to herself, One day, Thor, our Divine fire will reign.

Although he couldn't hear Silver's and Selena's previous conversation, Rahim still spoke to the two dragons. "As much as I may regret saying this, I remember when you first brought up the idea of getting an army of Nidhoggr, Selena. They must have gone rogue, or they would have attacked us back there. We should figure out where they went and form an alliance with them."

Silver swung his head and moaned. I'm not sure Lord Godfrey will appreciate a flight of undead dragons knocking on his castle door, but if we can convince those creatures to join us, why not?

Rahim's eyes widened, and he clenched his teeth. "I... did you just talk to me, or am I losing my mind?"

Silver chose not to reply, allowing Rahim to believe the latter. However, after Selena arched her neck around and growled with a snap of her fangs, Silver finally explained how the mental bond worked. Meanwhile, Selena considered herself pleased when Rahim, although hesitant because it had to be Silver, accepted this new form of communication.

Before Silver could explain how she could do the same by opening her thoughts to others, Selena already began speaking with Rahim in the same manner before addressing Silver directly. Thank you, but I've done this before with the She-Wolf, Kiba of the Aynu.

Silver groaned, and Rahim kept shaking his head in disbelief. "Err, you two are too much for me." After staring at the two snickering dragons, he clicked his tongue against his teeth. "Anyway, how will we find that group of ferals?"

They looked to be heading towards Blackheart Village. We could always stop and ask if they've seen them.

"That will take us a little longer to get to the keep."

But wouldn't it be worth it if we came with reinforcements? It wouldn't hurt to try.

After a few painful groans, Rahim eventually conceded to Selena's line of thinking and fell deep in thought for a while before his eyes widened and sparkled at a sudden revelation. "By having those goop dragons fighting alongside the vampires and us, and with the added firepower from the eclipse, we should be able to launch an invasion to reclaim Alfheim. We can stop the Lich's army from making their apocalyptic journey." He leaned over Silver's horns. "I have an idea of how to do that. When we get to Dark Blood Hold, I want to help Lord Godfrey work on the battle plans."