Chapter 4: Kissed by an Angel

I am life and death. My Divine fire will reign. Thor, the master of the sky, soared upon the breath of the Divines as he prepared himself for the evening hunt. The sun inched closer to the line where the land met the sky.

Although he understood Selena busied herself in spending time with Silver and Rahim, Thor snorted, for she wouldn't spend the remainder of the evening with him; if she was cold, his pavilion was nice and toasty. However, he would soon expect his new guest—at least he wouldn't be alone—and although Ebony wished to meet him, Thor wanted to eat first. Still, the idea of Selena with Silver sometimes made him feel ill, and as much as he was willing to accept the demigod in their lives, Thor was still not wholly ready.

His wings shook the heavens as the world bowed down to his might. Thor was colossal compared to any dragon he had ever seen, yet his growth knew no bounds. During their time in Heaven's Tear, while waiting for Selena to wake up, Thor's size amassed to that of a twenty-gun first-rate frigate. The length of his wings could wrap around Silver's vast tower and still overlap. Thor would have no issues carrying a small battalion of about three hundred fully grown men, or even more if his harness could allow it.

The Divines themselves should fear me.

The setting sun made his scales glisten and shine like diamonds. He was a jewel in the sky, and Thor was proud of his might and beauty.

His eyes turned red when they caught a massive stag drinking from a pond. However, when Thor's shadow drifted across the ground, the animal swiveled its head and immediately ran off. Thor looked forward to the chase; he purposefully roused his prey into running, as Thor maintained his speedy advantage. The mighty dragon swooped down and tackled his game from the sky when he was upon the stag. He felt the animal's spine break from the force and the crunch of flesh and bone from his claws. Satisfied, Thor steered himself back to Heaven's Tear with his kill. As big as the stag was, the animal only served as a snack.

He needed to eat constantly every four to six hours when only a hatchling. Now, he could go for days or weeks without the need to hunt and sustain himself through sporadic small kills and still be satiated; Thor wondered if he would reach the point where he no longer needed sustenance.

Silver's tower stood boldly below him; Thor was as graceful as a swan, landing near his pavilion fit for a king or a god. He dropped his latest catch near his roost, but before he could lay down and enjoy tearing through flesh and bone, a figure of a woman caught his attention.

Thor's heart was about to burst from his chest. My dear one, is that you? Have you returned to me?

She didn't reply immediately. I'm still here with Silver and Rahim.

He snarled at how short she kept her answer; it was as if she didn't want to join him.

As the woman approached, Thor was disappointed to see someone else. He hissed through his clamped fangs and flickered his tail, smashing it against the ground until he realized the woman was most likely Ebony; she had the same glasses and snow-white hair as Silver that glistened with iridescent radiance from the setting sun. Her sudden appearance didn't matter, for Thor wished it were his beloved companion coming out to join him instead. She belonged to him and no one else, so why couldn't Silver understand? His head drooped while he sulked in somber silence.

The black-suited woman sauntered with poise and elegance through every light step she made, and her hand rested upon her sword's pommel belted to her waist. She stopped when Thor gave her a warning growl. To Thor's surprise, Ebony didn't remark his sudden hostility, but she grinned and bowed. "It's such an honor to meet the King of Dragons himself," she began, "it's a pleasure, Thor. I waited outside until you returned from the hunt. I understand it's unwise to interfere during a mighty dragon's meal." Thor held his head high from the formalities and bowed, too but kept their introductions short; Thor whirled around and gobbled up his latest catch within seconds, bones and all. Ebony watched him with deep fascination, but Thor paid no mind.

Ebony took a step forward while he picked and cleaned his ivory talons. "My brother, Silver, told me so much about you and Selena. You two are the Divine's gift to this world." Having fed his ego, chittering, Thor snaked his head down to properly greet Ebony. She inched forward and stretched out her hand, only for Thor's nose to meet her open palm, and for a brief moment, the two locked in silent communion.

After they backed away, Ebony took a seat beside him with Thor's permission. She clasped her arms around her knees and told Thor stories of her past adventures, speaking for hours until the sun nestled between the mountains and the moon blared in the burning sky.

Ebony's words enchanted him; Thor didn't know what was happening, but he fell under her spell. It reminded him of whenever he and Selena used to sit and read together before the pair joined the Force, and suddenly his heart ached for Selena to be by his side again. And yet, Thor found himself longing for more of Ebony's attention, listening to stories he only dreamed about from the books Selena read. She spoke of discovering great treasure, battling ancient creatures of legend, riding the rare unicorn as a child, learning different sword techniques, conquering distant lands; her fables were endless.

Thor inched closer with each new tale until his head draped over Ebony's shoulder. She stopped and smiled, reaching over and stroking his snout and neck. Without saying another word, she stood up, and her appearance began to change. To Thor's shock and amazement, she transformed into a black dragon—similar characteristics to an Imperial Pearlscale save for the coloration—beautiful enough to make the Divines weep. Her smooth, onyx hide was as radiant as the moonlight glistening upon her slender body. Oval specs of orange and amethyst glowed against her midnight, leather-bound wing membranes. Two body-length tendrils flowed from near her nostrils and danced in the air long her sides. Thor noticed the trembling frill along her jawline, and a strange feeling washed over him. Ebony stood to his shoulders, a decadent beauty.

She must be a shapeshifting demigod, like Silver.

Ebony bowed her head. Indeed, I am. I'm a demigod as old as my brother. She stepped closer, and before Thor could brace himself, she rubbed her snout against his. Thor couldn't understand what was happening, but he felt such a burning desire erupt, like his heart would eventually explode. I identify as a dragon, Ebony continued, because being a mortal is boring. Taking a human form is my way to blend in if I must.

Thor didn't care what she preferred, but all he knew was that he wanted to remain by her side. He craved her. Thor couldn't explain his sudden desire, but it grew so much that he was afraid he would be unable to contain it.

Suddenly, Ebony's trilling fins along her face twitched as she yowled. Her call beckoned Thor forward until she leapt up with a sweep of her wings and began climbing towards the stars. With a flicker of his tail, Thor gave chase. At first, Ebony put a great distance between them, but Thor picked up more speed, and soon, the world spun around the two as Thor finally caught her.

His desire grew as he wrapped his tail and wings around her, and the two dragons became intertwined. Exhilarating passion burst between them as Thor dug his claws into her gleaming hide, and Ebony followed his movements as they swirled into a downward spiral. Before they hit the ground, Thor and Ebony finally broke free and circled back to the pavilion.

Although the ritual only lasted seconds, Thor knew he wanted no other future mate. He only desired her.

*****