Chapter 22: The Broken Man

Winter's dread drowned out the nuptial bliss after the new couple shared their last evening. Two plates of untouched food sat cold on the table as Selena lay restless—clothed in only blankets—with her eyes fixated upon her new ring emblazoned with the meteorite diamonds, and Silver enjoying what could be his final slumber. All her thoughts raced back to Thor, and she couldn't stop the tears swelling within her eyes, unable to imagine his torment: day after day, night after night, she never gave up hope that one day, he would finally respond.

Please, talk to meeven one word would suffice. Again, her calls went unanswered, and Selena silently wept from drowning in her sorrow when all she felt from him was darkness.

Her head whipped over the pillows to see her new husband sleeping peacefully and happily before the final battle, and she wondered what swirled within his dreamland. As a demigod, Silver probably hadn't slept since his initial transformation. Selena smiled and leaned in to kiss him on the cheek before slipping out of bed and taking advantage of their private balcony beyond the window, seeking solace in the cold evening. She looked heavenward to watch the black and silver clouds wafting overhead.

The winter solstice was nearly upon them, and the castle shuddered from the lingering eclipse creeping behind; the allies planned on leaving for the assault in the morning to make it on time. The Nidhoggr were fast fliers and would have no issues bringing their armies to Alfheim within a fortnight. Yet, Ebony still returned no response, but Selena hoped she would ultimately make the right decision.

She welcomed the chilling air kissing her naked body, her dragon blood keeping her warm even as the snow began drifting.

Thor, please know that I will be coming to save you. I promise.

She took a couple of steps back and sat on the cold stone with her legs crossed, eyes closed, and hands together as she bowed her head in silent prayer. Xyaxon, I need your wisdom.

The Divine made no hesitation in granting her an audience. Within seconds, the world paused, and Selena was whirled into the ethereal realm: Niflheim. She stood before the desolate castle of glass glimmering from the burning cosmos, but the god's gentle voice whispered across the empty air. "And you shall have it. My help is always available to you as long as you ask."

Selena remained puzzled and troubled as she looked around at the sparkling cosmos floating above her. "I need to figure out how to save Thor and the others. I know Thor isn't lost to me yet, and everyone keeps telling me Aydin is dead, but I don't believe that."

"Aydin is only but a broken man."

"That's not true. I know there is more to it. Silver showed me a few of his memories, but they were after Aydin began yielding to Venexus' control."

"Venexus is a primordial creature, older than existence itself; his task is to kill and destroy life. I watched young Aydin suffer, and it didn't take long for Venexus to possess him. Even before he met your mother, Venexus waited for the perfect moment to strike, and Aydin was his perfect vessel to help further his plans before the man was ever conceived. His fate remained sealed."

"What should I do?"

"If you wish to save Thor and the others, you must end the Lich once and for all with Revelation. Death is the only solace that Aydin seeks."

Selena's eyes shimmered, but they widened. "Aydin is still alive."

"He's only a shell of the man he used to be."

"I know, but I want to save him, Azrael, Thor, and everyone else. Nobody, not even Aydin, deserves this agony."

"I understand your reluctance, and your heart is in the right place, but Revelation will end Aydin's torment. What is the fate of one life to millions more?"