XXXVII. Isaac Valentine

ISAAC VALENTINE'S MORNING ALWAYS started at the same time

ISAAC VALENTINE'S MORNING ALWAYS started at the same time. When the magic alarm rang, he rubbed his eyes and looked up at a portrait of Ciel on the ceiling.

"You're cute again today, my little brother."

There was only one reason that he put Ciel's portrait there.

It was so that he could wake up early and see Ciel's face for even a single second more.

Unlike his colleagues living in the knight's quarters, he willingly chose to commute from home to stay with his cute little brother.

That meant that he had to get up an hour earlier than his colleagues and that he returned an hour later, but that was fine with him.

Since he was able to be with his cute brother every morning, all of those troubles just melted away like snow.

By the time he left his bed and finished his breakfast, Ciel, who had awoken, came down to the dining room.

"Brother, you were awake already?"

Emerald eyes, wavy blond hair, and an angelic smile. Of all of their siblings, Isaac and Ciel looked the most like Duchess Eve.

"Isaac, don't get hurt and don't fight with your friends, all right?"

Despite his constant nagging, Ciel's voice was as brilliant as a nightingale's song. Isaac smiled as he stroked his energetic brother's head.

"Yes, I will."

"You're sure playing around. What are you doing being so clingy this early in the morning?"

Louis, his brother, was asking for a beating again today. Isaac smacked Louis' head, then mounted his horse with a look of regret.

He first started learning how to use a sword when he was five years old. Sir Cromwell, his teacher and the current leader of the Knights of the Blue Dragon, recognized at once that the young Isaac's physique was extraordinary.

"Please give me this child. I'll raise him into a great knight."

His parents always respected their children's wishes. And in the end, solely because the shiny armor looked cool in his young eyes, Isaac said he would become a knight.

Shortly after his brother Louis was born, a girl with black hair arrived at the Valentine's mansion.

The girl, who was the same age as Isaac, was named Clara. She was said to be a poor child who had lost all of her family members in an accident.

"From today onwards, Clara will be part of our family. Please treat her kindly."

She was quite a pretty girl, but Isaac was not impressed. At the same age, they couldn't really be classified as an older brother and younger sister so they decided to just be friends.