XLII. Uneasy

IN THE ORIGINAL NOVEL CIELLE ALMOST offered up the Valentine family to Alex because she liked him, but this time around, the Crown Prince and the Valentine family have established a fairly stable alliance

My entrance into the palace has been confirmed. And thanks to that, the Emperor has been able to create a friendly base of power for the Crown Prince called 'Valentine', while Princess Lotte has become unable to scheme recklessly.

In addition, there's a chance for Clara to be acknowledged as a pharmacist of such outstanding skill that she was granted entry to the palace accompanied by his younger brother. Truthfully, that last part is just something I hope for. For now I'm just grateful to avoid those involved in the drug case.

But Princess Lotte and Stan, who was quietly watching me from afar, weighed on my mind.

"Ciel?"

"No, it's nothing."

From the beginning, Stan had been continuously staring at my face. His eyes followed me when I greeted Alex, and later when I scolded Louis for stepping on my shoes.

It might be due to everything I've been going through recently, but his overt gaze was making me uncomfortable. Please. Don't act like that in front of everyone.

"Ciel, come here."

Fortunately, I have reliable knights. Isaac stood in front of me while Theo and Clara drew around me like a curtain. And when Stan approached Alex on the pretext of talking about work, he wasn't able to come close to me.

It's a relief to have them. It's truly a relief... so why am I so uneasy?

We're entering the palace in order to guard against the Princess' bullsh*t, but Stan's presence will probably be the biggest variable. With that thought in mind, I looked back from within my dad's arms.

He was still staring. Up until the moment my family said our goodbyes and left, Stan continued to watch me closely with a somewhat sad expression.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.───

ALEX SAT IN A CHAIR WITH SERIOUS expression on his face and asked the head maid a question.

"Isn't the wallpaper too bright?"

They had decorated it to match Ciel's room as closely as possible. It would be difficult to redo everything again because it was too similar.

"Your Highness, have you forgotten that you changed it just three days ago saying that the color of the wallpaper was too dull?"

"It was, though."

The head maid Burnett, who rarely lost her temper, gave a deep sigh at the flood of orders from the Crown Prince, who had gotten all worked up on his own.