The New Tail

...
..
.

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

"I never got to patch his arm," I whisper with a sigh, staring at the piece of food attached to the stick I was cooking over the bonfire.

"-- and with one twist, he took my hand, and swallowed it whole!" Gobber continues, making me cringe. "And I saw the look on his face..." He waves around the turkey on his hand. "I was delicious! He must have passed the word because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg."

The others gasp as I look at Hiccup, tilting my head as he blankly stares at the fire with a frown.

I set my hand on his arm, startling him for a second before he relaxes, slightly smiling at me before watching Gobber.

"Isn't it weird to think your hand was inside a dragon?" Fishlegs questions, waving around his two large chicken legs. "Like, if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by crushing its heart or something."

"I swear, I'm so angry right now!" Snotlout growls, waving around his chicken. "I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop of the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!"

Gobber hums in disagreement, wiping his mouth before ripping off the wing of the turkey.

"No. It's the wings and the tail you really want. If it can't fly," he wags the wing around, "it can't get away."

Hiccup and I look at each other with wide eyes, realization hitting us as to why the Night Fury was unable to fly out of the clearing.

"A downed dragon is a dead dragon." Gobber states slowly and yawns, rising and stretching, "all right. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys, slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare."

...

Third Person P.O.V

(Y/N) nods as Hiccup tilts his head, motioning for them to leave. Both set their food down, rushing away from the group of kids as they excitedly chatter.

"But who will win the honor of killing it?"

"It's gonna be me," Tuffnut smirks, leaning back. "It's my destiny, see?"

Astrid looks up, softly gasping when she sees the two gone.

"Your mom let you get a tattoo?" Fishlegs questions in awe.

"It's not a tattoo. It's a birthmark." Tuffnut states back defensively.

Astrid rises, looking over and watching Hiccup and (Y/N) rush away together.

"I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before," Ruffnut replies.

Astrid silently debates going after them before she narrows her eyes, shaking her head before turning away and joining the others once more.

"Yes it was! You've just never seen me from the left side until now."

...

Hiccup opens his journal, (Y/N) handing him his pencil and watching as he redraws the other half of the tail-fin on the Night Fury. They look at one another, nodding with determined smiles.

...

(Y/N) fans the coals as Hiccup uses the bellows to light them, heating up the metal piece.

...

She peeks over his shoulder as he hammers the hot metal into a small pole before she drags the barrel of water over, backing away as he dips the metal into it.