Chapter Six | Bookstore Encounter

"A New Beginning" by Lang Leav

It was the kind of bookstore that didn't really follow any clear organization system. The whole shop was quiet. Except for the shopkeeper's greeting when she first walked in, she hadn't heard another soul.

Malia wandered for a few hours, hands running along the spines of old, well-loved, and antique books. She passed "Origins of Asipu" and "Runes" just before arriving at the section she was searching for.

She examined the spines of the poets. Emily Dickinson, Pablo Neruda. She stopped on Rumi.

"I think we have similar tastes," a deep, steady voice says behind her. Malia turns around.

"'Let yourself be silently drawn / by the strange pull of what you really love. / It will not lead you astray,'" the tall man recites some Rumi.

Malia nodded, a smile playing on her lips. "It seems so."

"I often find that a good book can transport us to places we've never been," the man mused, eyes gazing into the distance.

"And sometimes it introduces us to people we'd never expect to meet," Malia echoes the sentiment. "I'm Malia. I just moved here."

The man pauses for a second as if thinking about whether he should give her any information.

"Elijah. Welcome."

"What'll it be, Elijah?" Malia gestured to the poetry books behind her. "Whitman? Angelou?"

"I'm actually looking for something a bit different today," Elijah reaches to the shelf beside Malia, almost trapping her between him and the bookshelf for a brief moment.

Malia's breath caught in her throat. As he moved away, she regained her composure. She looked down at the book in his hand.

"Runes?" She raises her eyebrow, a smile playing at the corner of her lips.

"Like I said," Elijah brought his eyes to her, studying her. "Something different."