Chapter Eighteen | Lapse

"Alpine Kitchen" by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner

The scent of onion and garlic drifted through the kitchen of the Mikaelson mansion. Malia used a spatula to move the food around on the pan, preventing it from burning.

"Something smells good," Klaus's voice came from behind her.

"You destroyed it, Klaus," Malia turned to glare at him. "My mother's necklace. It's in pieces."

"It was a lapse in judgment," he tried to play it off, but Malia wasn't having it. She turned back to the pan, angrily stirring some more.

"A lapse? That necklace was the last connection I had to her."

Klaus's face was masked with contrition. He stepped closer to her.

"I understand that. I regret what I did. It was thoughtless."

Tears welled in Malia's eyes. She threw some farmer's market vegetables that she had already chopped up into the pan, trying to hold herself together.

"You can't just replace something like that, Klaus," her voice was filled with pain.

"I know. I can't undo it, but I'll make amends, Malia. I swear it."

Malia stared down at the food for a moment.

Finally, she spoke.

"Do you want some?" She was referring to the stir fry, a peace offering. "Or, wait. I guess you wouldn't eat. It's a blood diet, isn't it?"

It felt so strange to say.

"I can eat," Klaus assures her. 

Malia hummed, dishing out some rice and throwing some of the contents of the pan over it.

"Here," she handed the plate to Klaus before getting some for herself.

They sat at the table near each other, enjoying the meal.

"This is excellent, Malia."

"There's one thing I just don't get, Klaus," she said suddenly, looking into his eyes for the first time since before he had torn the jewelry from her neck. "Elijah . . . I ran into him by accident. It was just a coincidence. But you sought me out. You pursued me and willingly brought me into this. Why would you do that?"

Klaus was at a loss for words, and Malia did not allow him the chance to say anything.

"That's what I thought," she stood from the table. "I'm going to finish this in my new room."