Chapter Eight: Jingliu's Awakening

A/N: All rights to the original content are reserved by the respective copyright owner.

Chapter Image Source: Pixiv Artist Code "19935159" / Pixiv Art Code "109669413"

The dragon's ancient eyes, slitted like those of a serpent, bore into Jingliu with an intensity that sent shivers down her spine. It was as if those crimson orbs held the weight of centuries, and in their depths, she could glimpse the unfathomable knowledge and power that the creature possessed.

In response to her daring question, the dragon's massive form seemed to ripple with pent-up energy. It drew itself up to its full height, towering over her like a living mountain. The very land seemed to tremble beneath its presence.

With a voice that resonated like the rumblings of an earthquake, the dragon began to speak. Its words carried the weight of countless ages, each syllable pregnant with ancient wisdom and a chilling malevolence.

"Mortal," it rumbled, the sound reverberating through the air, "you stand before Gogma, the last of the ancient dragons. I am the devourer of the roots of the Tree of Despair, a guardian of the abyss that lurks beneath the whole universe."

Jingliu's breath caught in her throat as she heard the name "Gogma." It was a name spoken of in hushed whispers, a creature of legend and myth. But now, here it stood before her, very much real and very much aware of the darkness that plagued the land.

Gogma's gaze bore into her, and it continued, "I did not come to this land for sustenance, for I no longer hunger as I once did. Instead, I was drawn here by the semblance of the abyss that has scourged through Xianzhou. The corrupted state of life here serves as a wellspring, not for nourishment, but for power."

Jingliu's mind raced as she tried to comprehend the dragon's words. The notion that the dragon was here not for sustenance but for some other purpose filled her with a mixture of confusion and dread.

"The abyss that festers beneath this land," the black dragon continued, "it is a force that transcends mere hunger. It is a darkness born of despair and suffering, and it calls out to me. I have come to witness its growth, to understand its nature, and perhaps, to harness its power for my own."

The revelation sent a chill down Jingliu's spine. The dragon's motives were far more complex than she had ever imagined. It wasn't merely a predator seeking prey, but a being that sought to tap into the very source of the land's suffering.

And then, in a tone that dripped with malicious intent, Gogma fixed its gaze upon Jingliu once more. "But what interests me most, mortal, is that you too carry the semblance of the abyss within you. Deep within your soul lies a darkness, unawakened and dormant. It calls to me, just as the land does."

Jingliu's heart raced as a sudden fear overcame her. The dragon's words had unearthed a doubt that had lingered in the depths of her mind—the fear that she herself had become tainted by the mara, the very darkness that had plagued Xianzhou.

"Do I carry the Mara within me?" Jingliu whispered, her voice trembling with uncertainty. She searched her own thoughts, trying to find answers in the recesses of her soul.

The dragon's eyes gleamed with glee, its malicious amusement evident. It let out a boisterous laugh that sent ripples through the land, shaking the very trees around them.

"HAHAHAHAHA!!! You fear the Mara, little mortal?" the dragon taunted, its voice dripping with amusement. "You think it a curse, a burden. But you fail to see its true nature."

Jingliu was taken aback by the dragon's laughter and its cryptic response. She could feel a mix of emotions swirling within her—fear, confusion, and a growing sense of unease. The dragon's revelation had opened Pandora's box of questions, and she had no choice but to confront them head-on.