Genesis Arc - Ch. Nine: The Guardians' Vigil

A/N: All rights to the original content are reserved by the respective copyright owner.

---

The morning sun cast a golden glow over the city of Xianzhou Luofu, illuminating its futuristic skyline and the two figures standing atop the Cloud Knights' citadel. Y/N, his hair catching the light, sheathed his greatsword, a weapon that had become a symbol of hope in these troubled times. Jingliu, with her pale hair and red eyes, surveyed the horizon — her elegant, poised demeanor belied the strategic genius within.

"Another day, another mission," Y/N said, his voice carrying a lightness that contradicted the tension they both felt.

Jingliu nodded, her gaze still fixed on the city they were sworn to protect. "Yes, but this one feels different. The Mara-struck are growing bolder, and the Council is worried."

Their reputation as the city's protectors was well-earned; their previous encounters with the Mara-struck soldiers had showcased their valor and combat prowess. The people of Xianzhou Luofu looked up to them, and with that admiration came a weight of expectation.

Inside the briefing room, the air was thick with urgency. A senior councilor, his face etched with concern, outlined the disturbing increase in Mara incidents. The room's holographic display flickered with images of chaos and destruction — the hallmark of the Mara-struck.

Y/N leaned forward, his brows furrowed. "Do we have any leads on what's causing the escalation?" he asked, his directness cutting to the heart of the matter.

The councilor shook his head. "That's what we need you to find out. This mission is reconnaissance but be prepared for engagement. We cannot allow the Mara to spread unchecked."

Jingliu interjected, her voice calm and controlled. "We'll need full access to the sector's records and any intelligence on the Mara's movements. If there's a pattern, we'll find it."

With the mission details laid out before them, Y/N and Jingliu retreated to the armory to prepare. Y/N ran his hands over the greatsword, its dark steel surface whispering of battles past and those to come.

Jingliu watched him, a flicker of something soft crossing her features. "You always seem so calm before a mission," she said. "I wish I could feel that way."

Y/N looked up, a smile playing on his lips. "Who says I'm calm? I just trust in my sword and in you. We've faced worse, and we're still here."

Jingliu's lips curved into a smile, her eyes reflecting a trust that was forged in countless battles. "Then let's ensure it stays that way. I'll go over the star charts and plot our course."

As they boarded their ship, the gravity of their task was palpable. The sector in question was a fringe area, known for its silence and desolation. But as the ship's engines hummed to life, Y/N and Jingliu settled into their roles with the ease of seasoned veterans, ready to confront whatever lay in the shadows of the unknown.

The ship cut through the cosmos, its destination a small speck in the vastness of space. Inside, Y/N sharpened his greatsword, the blade's reflection in his eyes. Jingliu poured over the data, her red eyes scanning for any clue that might give them an edge.

"Remember," Jingliu said, her voice steady, "we stick to the plan. In and out, no unnecessary risks."

Y/N nodded, his grip on the greatsword firm and reassuring. "Agreed. Let's solve this mystery and get back home."

The ship approached the sector, the silence of space a stark reminder of the isolation that awaited them. As they prepared to disembark, Y/N and Jingliu shared a look of unspoken understanding — they were the guardians of Xianzhou Luofu, and they would do whatever it took to keep the shadows at bay.