Genesis Arc - Ch. Seven: The Siege of Mythic Terror

A/N: All rights to the original content are reserved by the respective copyright owner.

Comment and Vote to show your support, thank you!

---

Xianzhou Cangcheng basked in the warmth of a day like countless others, its streets a vibrant tapestry woven from the bustling lives of its people. The markets teemed with the chatter of tradesmen, their stalls a kaleidoscope of colors and scents. Children's laughter echoed in alleyways, their games untamed by the wisdom of the scholars who debated passionately in the shaded halls of academia.

Y/N, a boy whose youth belied the depth of his wisdom, stood in the training grounds, his greatsword a silent partner in his morning drills. Beside him, Jingliu, her rebellious spirit channeled through the dance of her lightsword, moved with a grace that defied her noble upbringing. Despite the familiarity of the routine, a faint shadow of unease clouded their youthful faces.

In the city, life unfolded in its everyday rhythm. A mother hummed a lullaby as she prepared a meal, her hands skilled in the art of nourishment. A craftsman, lost in his world of wood and chisel, shaped dreams from the mundane. Elders, their faces etched with the passage of time, shared stories that wove the past with the present.

As Y/N and Jingliu took a moment to rest, the hum of the city around them seemed to fade into the background, overshadowed by the murmurs of a group of astronomers ambling nearby. Their conversation, laced with concern and fascination, drifted over to the young warriors.

"...never seen the stars align in such a manner," one astronomer said, his voice tinged with wonder. "It's as if the heavens themselves are rearranging."

"Strange omens indeed," another replied, her tone serious. "The celestial anomalies this week have been unprecedented. The elders speak of ancient prophecies..."

Y/N's grip on his greatsword tightened reflexively. "Did you hear that, Jingliu?" he whispered, a crease of worry forming on his brow. "They're talking about the stars... like something big is happening."

Jingliu, still poised with her lightsword in hand, nodded slowly. "Yes, it's unsettling," she agreed, her gaze drifting skyward. "It feels connected, somehow. Like a puzzle we're only seeing part of."

Their shared look was one of mutual concern, tinged with the memory of the Wanderer's departure. The simplicity of his goodbye now seemed to carry a heavier meaning, an unspoken awareness of what was to come.

Y/N looked up, squinting against the sun's glare. "Look at the sky, Jingliu. It's darker than usual, isn't it?" he observed, his voice barely above a murmur.

Jingliu's eyes narrowed as she surveyed the heavens. "You're right. And the sun... it's almost too bright, like it's trying to fight off the darkness."

Above them, birds circled in agitated patterns, their flight erratic and disjointed, as if responding to an unseen force. The natural rhythm of the world seemed disrupted, the balance between light and shadow slightly askew.

Y/N's expression grew thoughtful, a hint of the wisdom he was known for surfacing. "I wonder if this has anything to do with what our master said before he left... about changes coming, challenges we'd have to face."

Jingliu's grip on her lightsword relaxed slightly, but her stance remained alert. "Whatever it is, we should be ready," she said firmly. "Master wouldn't have left unless he believed we could handle what's coming."

Their conversation was cut short as a sudden chill swept through the air, the warmth of the sun momentarily eclipsed by a passing cloud. It was as though the universe itself was holding its breath, waiting for the next chapter in an ancient story to unfold.