Genesis Arc - Ch. Twenty-Four: A Friend in Need

A/N: All rights to the original content are reserved by the respective copyright owner.

EDIT: Had to republish the chapter. Some people are not receiving the notification.

---

Faith.

Faith was a mantle Jingliu wore with ease. It was her unwavering belief in her abilities—her analytical mind that wove memories into a coherent tapestry, her eyes that observed the nuances of the world, her swordplay that flowed like water, and above all, her immense trust in Y/N—that anchored her.

In the quietude of her room, surrounded by the day's concluding tasks, Jingliu leaned back in her chair, letting her gaze drift to the moonlit sky framed by her window. The moonlight was a constant companion, bathing her and her surroundings in a celestial glow.

"Why is it? Why do you shine on me?" she whispered to the moon, a silent sentinel in the vast expanse of the night. Though she knew it held no answers, there was a part of her, a whisper of intuition, that felt guidance from its silent glow.

Her thoughts, usually so ordered and precise, were becoming frayed at the edges. The change in Y/N's demeanor had not gone unnoticed, its ripple effects touching the calm waters of her own spirit. It was as if his turmoil echoed in her, stirring a storm that threatened her inner peace.

Her affection for Y/N was no secret, at least not to her. Yet, his reactions always seemed to place her feelings within the bounds of friendship. To Jingliu, her feelings transcended such simple confines.

"Why do I hesitate?" she pondered, her heart grappling with emotions like guilt, pride, and perhaps envy. The questions were many, the answers elusive, and the silence of the night offered no counsel.

"I am overthinking this," she muttered to herself, a tired resignation in her voice. Rising from the chair, she allowed herself to fall onto the bed, the day's attire still clinging to her. The weight of her armor felt like the weight of her thoughts—too much to shed in this weary moment.

"I'll face these questions tomorrow," she resolved, letting the comfort of her bed and the promise of sleep wash over her. As sleep claimed her, the moon continued its silent vigil.

---

Amidst a land marred by the ravages of an unseen war, Jingliu awoke to desolation. The pale-haired woman rose, the cracked earth protesting under her weight. Confusion knitted her brows as she sensed the tug of a dream realm, suspecting the Primordial Flame's hand in this.

"Come out, I know you're out there," she called into the silence, her voice a lonely sound in the expanse of ruin.

She waited, expecting the fiery tempest, the flames that could illuminate Xianzhou in their fierce dance. Yet, there was nothing—no heat, no light, no presence. An uneasy stillness enveloped her, punctuated only by the drumming of her heart, warning her of unseen danger.

Compelled by a prickling sense of being watched, she turned, facing the void. The sense of wrongness was palpable, but she stepped forward, drawn by an invisible thread through the sea of encroaching dread.

As she entered the space, it was not fire that greeted her but a cascade of sparkling lights, swirling around her like a galaxy made manifest. The dream shifted, and suddenly she was transported to a familiar sanctuary—the woods of her childhood with Y/N, a serene pond bordered by blue flowers.

"I know of this place," she murmured, touching a flower—a spectral remnant of a home now lost. The pond before her lay still, the moon's reflection a silent guardian over this echo of the past.