[2]

The loud ringing of the bell fills my ears, signaling the end of the school day. I take my time packing my belongings, in order to avoid any interactions.

After I am done, I start making my way outside.

Thankfully the teachers and the principal here don't conduct important meetings. And I, being the scholarship student, almost get straight A's. I try to keep my work upto the mark and complete all the given work before time to avoid detentions or calling the parents.

Whenever we get any forms or report cards that require our parents signature, I somehow manage to take mom's sign when she is home, which is very rare, or else I would forge her signatures - What? I know but I don't have any other option - and give it back to the teacher.

After exiting the school, I continue walking towards Henry's Cafe while kicking the small stones on the way. The owner Henry is a very sweet old man. His children reside in the city, they sometimes come to visit them.

When we shifted here 3 years back, mom mostly used to leave without stocking the house. I would go days without food. I decided to start working, so that I could at least use the money to buy food when mom left and forgot.

When I first approached the cafe, the owner said that he couldn't really hire me as I was 13 at that time and that it will only be possible when I turn 15.

I, of course, begged him to give me some work, finally he allowed me to help him with small stuff. I used to take out the trash and help in cleaning the kitchen at the beginning. But he gave me a condition that I can work only after school till evening. I immediately agreed to it, I was more than happy to work there.

I would get a small amount of cash at the end of the week. Though the amount would be less, but it helped me to buy basic stuff. Also, I was able to spend some time doing something other than nothing.

Henry hired me last year when I turned 15 and I have been working since then.

On Sundays, I used to help the librarian in cleaning and dusting the library. I still do.

After working here for almost 3 years I am able to save myself some money.

Reaching the cafe, I see that it is half full. There are a few of my classmates goofing around, while someone is reading a book in the corner. I smile looking at the adorable little girl with her brother eating desserts happily.

I always wished of having a sibling, with whom I would play, laugh with. It would be so nice to have a go to person. Only if I knew.

I felt a little jealous looking at them. Then I scolded myself, turning around, that I should not be jealous of a little girl.

Moving forward I see Henry looking at me from the counter with a soft smile. His eyes crinkle a little as he smiles. He always has a kind aura surrounding him.

I smile back and greet him, "Hello Henry!"

"Hey Kyrie! How was school today?" he asked me.

"It was good -" before I could complete I was cut by a customer. Henry sent me an apologetic smile. I just smiled at him and made my way inside.

Opening the kitchen door, I'm greeted by the sweet aroma of chocolate. I could see Julia kneading the dough, while the others are busy serving the orders, taking cookies out of the oven.

Julia is Henry's wife, they both are in their late fifties. But the energy that they have, could bring adults, nowadays, to shame.

Sensing someone's presence behind her, she glances at me. Turning around she says while smiling, "There you are dear!"

Now that I look at her, I can see some dough on her shoulder length gray hair, which is pulled back in a loose bun. Julia is a petite, short height woman compared to Henry's tall stature.

"Hi Julia! Sorry, I am a little late", I responded quietly with a sheepish smile, keeping my bag aside and wearing the apron.

"Nonsense! You are perfectly on time." she said while cleaning her hands with the towel. "But we still need to complete 3 stacks of cupcakes today. So, let's get them done quickly." Knowing that, I hardly talk more than a few words, she immediately added. Over the past year Julia taught me how to bake different types of desserts as well as savories.

Saying a quiet okay I start the preparation for making cupcakes.

It was now nearing 6.20 in the evening, Kyrie's shift would usually end by 6.30.

Just then there was a slight commotion inside the kitchen. The girls were gushing about something while the boys were feeling envy.

Being curious, Kyrie peeked out of the kitchen door to see what the commotion was about. She was just able to see a mop of dark hair of a boy or was it a man, she was not sure about it.

She turned around, focusing on finishing the icing on the last cupcake.

Removing the apron, she dusted her clothes while speaking with Julia, "Julia, I am done with the cupcakes. Can you please check them". After checking the cupcakes Julia said smiling,"Yes dear, you are done for today. You can leave."

Just as Kyrie turned to pick her bag, Julia added, "Oh and this is for you dear", packing a chocolate muffin in a box. Kyrie frantically shakes her head, feeling shy she said, "No No, that is ok." But Julia insisted that she take it as a token of her hard work.

Blushing, she took the box from her hand and said, "Thank you for this Julia. Bye, see you tomorrow", while picking her bag. "Your welcome dear", hearing her response Kyrie exited from the backdoor.

When she reached the front, she saw an expensive looking car parked in front of the cafe. It was strange to find such a luxurious car in this small town.

Her staring was interrupted by a soft wheezing noise coming from the side. There she saw a puppy's leg stuck in the wired fence. He was not able to free himself. Kyrie immediately ran towards the puppy and cooed at him while freeing him.

She gently patted his head and gave him a belly rub, awarding her with the licks all over her face, which made her giggle. One could see the happiness on her face that a small creature had brought.

Unbeknownst to her, someone was intently watching her from inside the cafe and was mesmerized by her.

"Boss", he was interrupted by a man. When he turned towards him, he continued, "We found him." Looking outside, he could not see the girl anymore. He turned back to the man and said, "Let's go."

(word count : 1189)

----------------

If you like the story don't forget to vote and comment.

Love you all ❤️