[3]

After leaving the puppy to play around, I quickly start walking towards the house before it begins to get dark.

Enjoying the orange tint that the evening sun has casted, I reached the house. Entering, I place the keys on the holder after locking the door and keep the box that Julia gave me on the kitchen counter. I smile thinking about her.

I walk towards my room, to get changed and freshen up before preparing dinner. Once I get freshen up, I decide to cook pasta for dinner, which is not much, also I have the muffin for dessert.

I have a small appetite, as usually it is only me for dinner. Before, when mom used to leave me alone for days or weeks, at that time I had no idea how to cook and had to survive on the leftover food and snacks which would last me for a few days. Sometimes, I would go days without food.

In all these years, where I had to do everything alone, I learnt many things. The most important thing that I learnt is to not waste the food. Also, if I eat little, the grocery and snacks can last for a few more days.

After eating the dinner and doing the dishes, I settle on the couch enjoying the muffin, then decide to complete the assignments from school.

Completing all my work, I check the door once again to see if I have locked the door.

Taking my phone I reach my room upstairs, and get changed into sweatpants. The temperature here decreases a little at night compared to the main town area as we are covered with nature.

Doing my night routine, I sit on my single bed which is thankfully placed near the window, I hug Squishy close to me. Taking the book from my nightstand, I check the time to see it is 10.50pm. I sit in a comfortable position and cover myself with a blanket and start reading the book. It is a fantasy novel which I borrowed from the library.

- - - - -

The doorbell ringing awakens me from my sleep. I look at the time on my phone to see it is 12.23am. I guess I slept while reading the book. The continuous knocking interrupted my little self talk.

Who is here at this time?

Mom??

Thinking about it, a smile makes its way on my face and I start walking downstairs - almost running - as quickly as it comes it fades, I halt in my step getting confused.

Mom never rings the bell or knocks on the door.

Is there a thief?

But why will a thief knock? And there are hardly any robbery cases that I know about since we have shifted in this town.

I was again interrupted this time by a voice, "Hello, is anyone here? It's the police."

Hearing this, I started to panic.