7. The bench situation

"You can't just go around kicking Kirk" Dean was and is furious when he found out about me, Jess and Deans little mishap last night, "and sneaking out, are you serious, Maria?" He's MAD. I interrupt him by eating really loudly. "Oh, oh so you think this is funny?" He questions, crossing his arms over his chest, "I mean... it is pretty funny" I say as I swallow my last spoonful of cereal. I get up to put my dish in the sink, but Dean stands in-front of it. "Do you seriously have to be the towns golden boy?" I nudge him out of the way, hard to make sure it hurts. "I don't want our families name being ruined because- because of your bullshit" I blankly stare at him before rolling my eyes. "You know what Dean, for once in your life, can you just worry about yourself. If anyone else in our family cared, they'd speak to me about it." I run out of the room before he can see the water in my eyes. He really has a way of making me feel like shit. And I really need a distraction right now.

I'm just sitting on a bench. Nothing else. Just a plain old wooden bench. Listening to the wonders of nature. I look up and see Jess standing there, "this seat taken?" He asks, and before I can answer, he sits anyway. Though if I said no, he still would've sat there. "I hate having siblings." I blurt out. Staring at the ground, "woah, what's up?" Jess asks, surprisingly concerned. I shrug my arms, "do you know the feeling when you've done something wrong, but there's always that one person who makes you feel REALLY bad about it. That's my brother." I look up to him and sit straight, so that he isn't looking at me hunched over. "All the time, I mean have you seen Luke since I got here?" I didn't notice when my eyes started tearing up again. "Yeah" I chuckle and meet his eyes. "Are you crying?" He asks me. "I guess so, I didn't even notice to be honest" I laugh at it, trying to cover it up. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm not the biggest fan of your brother" his face gets closer to mine and he nudges me a bit with his arm, making me smile. "Well I'll let you know that feeling is reciprocated on his end" I laugh, "I don't hate him, I love him, he's my brother but there's just times where he makes me feel like everything In the world is my fault" his arm wraps around me from behind. I push the thought of it to the side and continue talking, guys just like sitting like that sometimes, right?

"You gonna tell me what's going on with you and Jess?" Lane questions and i furrow my brows at her, "Lane, what do you mean?" I ask back confused at how Lane could possibly see anything happening between me and Jess. "I mean come on, his arm wrapped around you early when you guys seemed to be having a pretty serious conversation on the bench earlier?" I kind of forgot we were in public when that happened. "It's clear he likes you" she says, as we come to a stop at her house. "And I've got this feeling you like him too" she says, "WHO LIKES WHO!?" I hear an angry voice come from Lanes house, obviously it's her mother. "Well it was nice chatting to you Lane I have to go" I say, pointing behind me then running before her mom can catch me. Scary, scary woman.

"LUKE I NEED COFFEE" I whine as I enter Luke's diner, I look up and see Lorelai behind the counter. I sit at one of the stools and tilt my head to see if this isn't some sort of dream, because surely Luke doesn't know someone else is behind HIS counter. "Hey Maria, how's the bench?" She asks winking. "You saw that too?? What kind of world am I living in" I slur my words, "one coffee" she says, placing the cup down infront of me. "Thank you" I say taking a sip of it. Both of our heads turn at the two voices coming from the stairs, "Jess you can't just do tha-" "do what? she needed comfort" they both come to a stop when they saw me sitting. "Oh heyy Maria" Luke says awkwardly, "I'm keeping Jess within a 5 meter distance from you." He says to himself, unaware that I could hear him. I like over at Jess who's eyes are locked on mine. I smile at him softly and mouth, 'thank you' to him. Because I never did earlier.

"Had any run in with Kirk?" I ask Jess mischievously, and he shakes his head, "you know I'm not actually allowed to be within a 5 meter distance of you." He whispers. "I heard, Luke has this thing where he thinks he's talking to himself when the whole room is able to hear him." I laugh when Jess starts, "yeah he does do that a lot" he replies, still smiling. And I can't take my eyes off of him. "JESS GET BACK UPSTAIRS" Luke calls at him, "meet me up there in 5" he winks then leaves before I can ask how I'm supposed to get there.

It's been 5 minutes already... and all of a sudden this big crash comes from upstairs and something falls from the ceiling. Luke immediately goes to check what's going on. I think I understand what Jess is trying to do. While Luke is distracted by whatever fell on the ground. I sneak up the stairs and I'm met with Jess standing at the front of a door. "You know he is going to kill you." I say to him as he grabs my arm and pushes me into the room, closing the door with his foot.

And the most unexpected thing happens. My back is pressed against the door and his lips are on mine. And I don't pull away either....

A/N: sorry I took a bit of a break from writing because I've been busy with college <33